1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best stand for a cab mic?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Dash Rantic, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hi all,

I did a quick search on this and didn't come up with much useful info, so please forgive me if this question has come up before :)

I'm going to be picking up a mic for my cab in the near future, likely a Heil PR40 (yes, I know the whole mic vs DI argument, let's not go there), and I'm curious what some of the better options for a small mic stand for my cabs are? I'm currently running 2x GK NEO 4x10s. I've seen some nifty boom arms that can clamp onto some cabs, but they don't appear to work with my cabs unfortunately.

So, what do you guys use for a small, sturdy, and reliable mic stand for your cabs? Obviously cheaper is better, but if I need to shell out for something quality (that won't break/constantly tip over), that is an option.

Thanks!

--

2. Pick up a kick drum mic stand. Got one at GC for bout $30

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, that's probably what I'll just end up doing, but I keep reading reviews online of people using kick drum mic stands as amp mic stands and having a lot of issues with them falling over. Hoping to get some recommendations to avoid that :cool:

--

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Are the GK NEO 410s too deep for the Audix Cab Grabber? If not, that should work well with the PR40.

5. The one I have has a ong side and a short side to counteract the mic weight. all you have to do is make sure the weight is on the right side. It's not rocket science.

6. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ooo interesting, I hadn't seen that before--sadly don't think it'll work, the GK NEO 410s are 18" deep and it looks like the Cab Grabber only goes to 14". I might look into trying to build something like that myself though...

--

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    jimfist likes this.
  8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, looks like they make a "Cabgrabber XL", which would fit. This should fit the bill perfectly, thanks! :bassist:

--

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
  10. TreVice

TreVice

Jan 13, 2012
    DFW
    Anyone have issues with too much vibration interfering with the sound from either of those stands? The CabGrabber or the Z bar? Would one be better than the other for this? Seems to me maybe the CabGrabber due to it holding the cab tighter? But it looks like the Zbar is better able to place the mic further into the middle of the cab.

Anyone use both? any issues? :eyebrow:

Thanks!!

11. code911

code911

Jun 21, 2005
    Greenback, TN
    I use ampclamps on all my cabs. http://www.ampclamps.com/ They work great for me,I bought one system then extra bases mounts for each cab.

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    ^The AmpClamp's a sturdier alternative to the cab grabber, and it sets up spot-on night after night.

The only downside is that it uses a base plate that you screw into your cab. (Marring the cab isn't a big deal with a ratfur cab, but it's less appealing with a custom composite Arnopol fEarful—or my Bergie AE212. Depending on where you want the mic located, you could mount the base plate to the bottom of the cab.)

13. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I just use the amp head's DI for my bass - but I use a Z bar on our guitaist's cab.

14. I used to use one of the LP mic Claw gizmos. They changed the design a few years back so now it's more flexible and doesnt hang up on the adjustment knob, but it also isnt as bombproof either.
    I've also bought a million (ok maybe 10,000) Atlas Soundolier mic stands. They are pretty standard in most studios and stages. If you get one with the big round cast iron base and not some tiny square desk stand base it will have no problem with any of the kick mics that usually end up on bass cabs. I dont know why folks use those tiny desk stands, sure you save $10, but when it falls over holding your $2000 microphone and dents the grill...what did you save?

15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Was just inquiring about this as well.
    Jimmy - I'm looking at the PR40 too (you have some good recommendations, sir ;))

Does the Z bar just sit directly below the amp (doesn't grab onto anything) so the weight of the amp is what is keeping it in place?

This one looks like a great and cheap fix, but if the weight of the amp is what keeps it in place, I'd have to figure something to jam in between (Orange AD200B head has feet lifting it away from the cab). Maybe a chunk of foam or something(?)

16. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just got my PR40 in the mail today and a Z Bar on its way!

This is noob question (having no previous experience), but do you guys recommend a shock mount for the PR40, or is this not really needed?

And also, the ZBar users - do you find the mic picking up any undesirable vibrations from the cab? Or am I just prematurely paranoid?

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
  18. HarlowSound

HarlowSound

Apr 7, 2013
    K&M makes great products get a short stand with a boom you can use it for multiple purposes

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry man...didn't see the follow up question before. Good call on the PR40! And yes, the Z bar hangs and is held down by the weight of your head or cab, or if you have one that allows it, you can slip it into a handle. It can also be set upright between two cabs, but most people hang them. I'd also suggest some tape on the part that goes in between stuff. That way you won't scratch your amp or gouge your cab covering. I never shockmounted or got undesirable vibrations from the cab...YMMV.