Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mclaud, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    HI!

Il know that this subject has been argued many times, but I wanted your more recent opinioes.

Witch is the best 2x10 cabinet out here?

I know that is all about what each one likes, but in terms of eficency, witch one is the ultimate 2x10 cabinet.

Bring them on!

2. Oh dear. Well...All I can say is the best I've heard was an EBS, dunno if they make more than one, but sheeeatt! that was one sweet 2x10.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Theres no best.

But I hear EA's are pretty darn good.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I can't narrow it down to one cab that I would call the best, but here are the cabs that I have heard and which I would group at the top of the heap (in alphabetical order, not order of preference):

Accugroove Tri 210L
    ACME Low B-2
    Bergantino HT210
    Bergantino HT210s
    EA CxL-210
    EA NL-210
    EA VL-210B

Just barely behind these cabs (and again, this is my personal preference), but also very killer cabs would come:

Dr. Bass BL210 (which is the closest one to my custom 2x10 from Marc)
    Eden 210XST
    Epifani T-210UL

Hope this helps. For more insight as to some of the 2x10's I own, check out the "My 2x10 Shootout" on my blog (see signature line).

Also, I am listing cabs which I think sound the best. As for the most efficient, this can be a bit misleading, as the Accugroove Tri 210L and the Eden 210XST have the highest efficiency ratings that I am aware of (103 SPL), but I find the Tri 210L to be louder than the Eden, and I also find the supposedly inefficient VL-210 to be louder still!

Tom.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Tom, Tom, Tom,
    My ears are usually in tune with you, but this time I just
    don't know. I have not checked out all of the above boxes
    but I really have to put the Epi 210UL much higher up that
    list. Big bottom, punchy with a smooth top end. I really think
    the Epi ultralite 10's, are killer. A very musical box that could
    be higher on the list.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    One of the reasons that it is not higher is my relative lack of experience with it. I have only played one in a store, and not in a gig setting. I do like it very well. The reason I did not put it higher is that to me, it sounded a bit uneven across the midrange. Yes, it is very musical, open and airy, but mypersonal preference is for a very even midrange response.

When I did hear the T-210UL, I preferred the low end of the T-112 and the upper mids of the T-110UL. Then, when I put the T-112/T-110UL together, I found what I personally think is "the Epifani sound." So, it may be that this experience prejudiced me slightly towards the Epi T-210UL. And keep in mind, it's not the "bottom" of the second list of cabs. Those are also alphabetical.

All that said, it may be that I just need to spend more time with this box. ;)

Tom.

8. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    What about SRW or Aguilar?

Goliath Jr III - 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M - 45Hz and 15KHz

GS 210 - 102 dB @ 1W 1M - 42 Hz to 16 kHz

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    They may look good on paper, but to my ears, the other cabs mentioned sound much better (more even tonal response, more definition/clarity, etc.).

Tom.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Any witch worth her salt could cast a spell on this or that cab and make it sound sweet;)

As to which cab is best, it's pretty personal. You really need to listen to the wide range of high end products available. Good time to be a bass player.

Don't forget to check out Schroeder's fine product.

11. out of interest, why does the eden 210xst come in so far down the list? what makes you choose the others above it? does it colour the tone too much or what?

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Keep in mind, when you say it comes in "far down on the list" the 210XST is right up there with Epifani and a killer cab from Dr. Bass (don't discount his cabs just because they are inexpensive!), and just barely behind EA, Accugroove, Bergantino, and ACME!

But, to be more direct, it seemed to me that the Eden really needed to be driven hard (as does the ACME), and that while it was highly competent in everthing that it did, for whatever reason, its tone was just not as compelling as the others. I'd say that its weakest point is probably the tweeter, and some of the other cabs on my short list have exceptionally good tweets.

Tom.

13. ok... I see.... not judging, was just interested to know why... that clears it up 4 me though. Thanx!

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Tom; I've talked at length with Dr. Bass, and have yet to pull the trigger on one. As you know, I'm a huuuge propnent of Schroeders mystical ability to blow holes thru a live mix. I've not found this with anything else. Do Dr. Bass cabs "have the mojo?"

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In my opinion, yes, they do. But, I also think that they sound quite different from the Schroeder cabs.

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Have never heard of tech before but having looked over their site, sure looks like they've got some interesting gear. Do you own one, what's the sound like and what's the price like?

17. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I recommend the following A/B/C/D etc test to determine which is best (for you)
    1) Take the instrument that you will be playing
    2) Take the unit you will use to power the 2x10
    3) Go into an acoustically desireable room, play thru every available 2x10 cab on the market.

Do whatever it takes to increase your listening and judgement skills- Meditation, whiskey, good sex, whatever works best---

Then decide.

Of course, you probably can't do all of the above, so therefore, I don't think you can pose a question like that.
    I mean, you CAN pose it, but how the he** are you gonna get a REALISTIC answer to it? Really! :cool:

18. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    I know is stupid, but i'm a bass player from a small Country, and there's only one or two brands availiable to try.

So all the knowledge i can take from you will help.

19. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    :cool:
    I apologize if you thought I meant it was a stupid question, it's not- and I realize you may be limited in your selection in Portugal...
    But you can't get a realistic answer, 'cause every player has a different opinion, and every cabinet is going to sound different depending on who's playing thru it, what they use, what they play, their skills, etc.

I've seen too many stoopid comments posted as to how certain gear sounds bad- weak, muddy,sterile, etc. Opinions are certainly called for, but when they are stated as absolutes-dumb.
    It's not what you play, it's how you play. If you play well, you can manage to sound good, even thru inferior equipment.
    Anyway, there are certain brands that have gained a good rep thru time, but there is no best.

SWR used to print a great line in their manual for the Baby Blue- They talked about eq settings for the amp, and one line said-
    "To get the 'Marcus Miller' sound----
    Practice your a** off"

Something to that effect~

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm, I haven't seen much mentioned about Bag Ends here. A definite top shelf 2x10 AND reasonably priced without a doubt would be their 2x10B-D(the deep one). I haven't had any experience with the coaxial style but everyone who's owned one raves about them also. Killer cabs & company...

~S~