1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Better Cab: Ampeg SVT410HE vs. Avatar B410NEO 8 Ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lagaupia, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    Which one do you guys prefer for a standalone cab?

I will be using it with my Ampeg V-4b half the time and my GK800RB the other half.

Thanks!

2. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I'd say the Avatar. It's light and its ported to get a better bottom end.

That is, unless you prefer sealed cabs, in which the Ampeg has a fairly large mid bump to its sound: think an 810 cut in half.

What kind of music are you playing?

3. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    I play in two bands and I play upright as well as electric. One band is straight rock and roll, the other a roots act. I'm looking for something versatile. I already own the Ampeg cab and i do like it, but it lacks low end as a standalone.

4. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I like sealed cabs with tube amps, but the HE always seem to get rated as being "shy" in the low end. I have a Fliptops sealed 4x10 with Eminence deltas; they are about $550 new, with a bit of wait time, but TOTALLY worth it. Has just as much low end as my old HLF, but not flabby and farty, much more controlled and tight. But, between the two, I'd go for the avatar. Esp that they have cloth grillcovers now!

5. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    I'm also curious as to how these two cabs compare. I have 2 of the Ampeg 410 He's, and i'm looking for something lighter with more low end as well. hauling two 90 lb. cabs isn't fun.

6. Tough call. If it was the HLF then no contest. But those two cabs are pretty comparable.

I'd say the best thing you can do is play both and compare them. I would have no problem playing through either of those cabs. The avatar is probably lighter, though.

7. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    I'm am looking for a new cab myself and I've narrowed it down to these two. I play metal and I've heard that the ampeg does well in metal but I've read a lot about the avatars..
    subscribed

8. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I have an Avatar 410 and it sounds great! Very comparable to the Ampeg 410HLF or an Eden...Less$ and lighter. Avatar customer service is good too.

9. you can always get the avatar in 4ohm and that's a plus in my book for stand alone cabinets.

10. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Has anybody used both in a live setting? How different was the sound?

11. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    Bump. Come on, someone must have played both at some point! I'm still curious.

12. I have had both the Ampeg HLF 4x10 and two Avatar 2x10 cabs and I would take the Avatar hands down.
    I found that the Avatar covers Highs,mids and lows well were the Ampeg lacked Clarity and higs and lows were weak but the mids were strong,not a bad cab to be paired up with something else but cant hold a candle to the Avatar for stand alone in my opinion.

13. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    Go with the Avatar, they are punchy, articulate, good lowend and ain't made in Vietnam like the Ampegs. They is U.S. homebrew. I got a Avatar 2x12 and love it. You might want to consider that too. Great stand-alone. I would highly reccommend the Avatar over the Ampeg, based upon my experience.

14. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have one of the earlier B410 Neos, made before Dave switched to the new crossover and deltalite II's, and I would take it over any Ampeg 410. I've used the sealed Ampeg 410 with an SVT3 Pro at a handful of practices and it wasn't loud or articulate enough to cut through a guitarist using a 212 practice amp + drummer, playing heavy metal. It might work vs. clean guitars, it was around the same volume as my old Fender Bassman 400 210 combo. I've played an SVT6 Pro+410HLF at a couple full practices vs. guitarist with tube head/412 and drummer. That setup was very loud and had a great rock/metal sound similar to Mesa, but the SVT6 Pro is very different from a GK800RB and I don't think the 410HLF would sound as good with less power and no tubes. The Avatar is more neutral and works well with 450w from my Peavey.