1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bi-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I' going to do the best I can at explaining my dilemma.
    I have a Peavey 1516 can.
    It has 2 inputs in the back for full range and 2 inputs for bi-amp, hi and lo.
    I have been using the left full range input since I got it umpteen gillion years ago.
    It' been fine.
    I just replaced the speakers.
    The 15", 4ohm BW was replaced with a 15", 4ohm Eminence. The 2-8", 8ohm Peaveys were replaced with 2-8", 8ohm Celestians.
    Now I must use the bi-amp side. One cord to the lo and one cord to the high.
    I can no longer use the full range side to get all three speakers. Only the 8" come through using either of the 2 full range inputs!
    Why or how could this happen?????
    I did nothing but replace the speakers.
    Also, is it ok to use both channels on my Ampeg SVT7PRO for this one 4ohm cab???
    I'm perplexed!
    Help me!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Check the wiring.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. I hope you checked that the TS parameters of the new drivers were a suitable match to the Peavey box.

Your problem could be caused by corroded switch contacts on the various input jacks.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    lz4005 likes this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Seems likely. Also could have pulled (maybe an already loose) wire from a push on connector, away from the speaker, or one may have come off inserting the speaker in the hole if front loaded.
    Not familiar with that amp, lookup the connections in the manual, or post a link to the manual if it's not clear. Generally, no, not to a standard single input. With a speaker with biamp inputs, it's made for two separate amps or channels, but verify in the manual and be very careful with the volume adjustments. The high and the low sections might not handle the power of the amp on two separate channels as well as one. We need to know what's going on in the cab to determine that. Beware you may reach mechanical limits on the new speakers before the wattage ratings. Mechanical limits are controlled some by the cab itself and is usually less then thermal/wattage/voice coil.

Are you on a quest for louder? Or were the old speakers dead?

5. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Wow!!!
    I had no idea of the complexity of speakers!
    I will check my contacts for connectivity and/or corrosion.
    The 15" BW had a tear in the paper about 3 inches long!
    I had to replace it obviously, but then I damaged one of the 8" by dropping the screwdriver through it!!
    So...I just bought a whole set.
    I'm not looking for more volume. This cabinet will stay in my basement under the SVT7PRO. It makes a great rig to practice loud. My VB2 and Fender 410's will be what I use for jamming, if I ever get good enough to play with real people instead of my imaginary band. Although, my imaginary band members tell me how much like Andy Fraser I sound!

PaulReside likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That's cool. A loud quest could end not well depending on the gear involved :D

If you knew, and if it had not been for the screwdriver incident, you could have self-re-basketed the BW. Then again, if frogs had wings, they wouldn't be bumping their asses on the ground all the time.

@BassmanPaul any advice, sir? :D

Stumbo likes this.
  7. None! I have stuck a screwdriver through my share of cones. I think it’s part of the learning process when dealing with speaker cabinets! :(

Tom, the BW drivers can be simply repaired by bolting a new basket assembly onto the old magnet.

8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sorry, Sir Paul, but every time I hear about that, or install a driver, I think of you :D You should never have admitted to it :D I'll try not to bring up the mailbox on public forum though. Oops I just did. :laugh:

BassmanPaul likes this.
  9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Aside from a wiring problem, the Bi-amp side would require an outboard ACTIVE crossover.

Bill Whitehurst and BadExample like this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Most likely yes. It depends on what's in the box, and what the new drivers do to the box. I'd expect bi-amp jack are straight to drivers without any sort of filtering, but I've never peaked inside one. If the replacements are all full range(ish) bass drivers, it could sound good or horrid without separating the highs and lows. It would be a pretty happy mistake to sound great without a crossover though! :D Then again, with the internal crossover, and randomly selected drivers, it might not sound so good either... fingers crossed for the OP.

11. Are all the drivers working in bi-amp mode? If so, perhaps you have the 8's out of phase with the 15? You have to observe polarity or you will get out of phase cancellation which kills the low frequencies like a dead driver.

12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You altered the wiring in some way during the speaker replacement. That's pretty much a guarantee. Depending on the power handling capacity of the replacement speakers, you could do some damage to them if you bypass the crossover. You're going to have to go back in and find the open connection. Good luck.

13. As Paula suggested, use an active crossover.

14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That will work, and that's what I do, but he probably just needs to put the wires back or find the corroded connection.

15. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    I'll do my best to find a loose connection or a corroded plug, but I live in Alaska and it's very difficult to get musical instruments fixed here. I certainly appreciate all the great advise and I will keep you all posted with my findings.
    I also wish you all a merry Christmas!