1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Jul 17, 2014.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I did a rehearsal yesterday and used the rig that was there s gk 700rb 2x10 combo. I found it to be seriously lacking any real oomph. Now, I use one of 3 heads ( 1001rbii, svt2 or gk 800rb) into 810e. These all kill in terms of loud, power and tone. I just cannot do anything less than a 4x10. I cannot see IMO, how guys can run tiny cabs. Sure we usually have em miked but there is still a lack of balls on stage and @ rehearsal. I'm talking hard Rock/metal here. I also can't personally stand to see a rock band on stage with woosie little rigs. I am all about big and bad. To me, nothing like seeing a wall of amps on stage regardless of if they're used or not. If I had the cash I'd add a second 8x10 in stage and use a full sized rolling rack. Anyone else? I cannot get with the tiny rig thing. Nothing against anyone who does, just me. I always felt rock/ metal was about big and bad.

chaosMK, D.M.N., TonyP- and 3 others like this.
  2. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Whooo didn't thing seeing Judas priest or BLS and so on with a genuine WALL of amps didn't look bad ass! It is visual as well as sonic.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Some people's priorities are different. Cool.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Wut? I couldn't hear u? Sorry I ran 1500 watts through a van full of cabs for a decade and can't hear anything anymore. Good thing I don't like music or it would really bother me being deaf.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There was a time, but nowadays I just do hard rock gigs occasionally, and I agree with you. While it's true that modern PA systems are so good that the wall of cabs is more or less a stage indulgence, there's just something disconcerting about seeing a metal band with tiny rigs. I'm no stranger to tiny rigs, but not when I'm playing hard rock.

D.M.N. likes this.
  6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Its not just volume its the power of it. The force of it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed with that as well. I don't run my SVT/810 any louder than I do any other rigs I use, but man, the air movement from the 810e just sounds so good. It's physics...bigger is always better for bass.

Mike A, rodl2005, slofut and 2 others like this.
  8. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Did anybody see Van Halen Diver Down tour? Nothing but speakers everywhere. Looked like The Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound! During Eddie's solo he would repeatedly shred, run back and flying kick a stack that would teeter back and forth while he ran out to shred again! What a show.
    Edit- Actually I think the tour was called Hide Your Sheep.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I know. I could never go IEM only, but you see my point, right? Hey, it's SHOW biz, but if there's a NEED for more than what 1 8x10 can deliver, you're FOH engineer must hate you.

10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    See! It ain't just me. Another thing, I've always hated that bass cabs are smaller than guitar cabs. A mediocre bass rig will smoke a good full Marshall stack, yet to me it looks kinda lame being physically smaller. I'd love a larger 8x10( insane but I don't care). Hauling big gear keeps ya in shape and lifted Right will not hurt your back. I know once apon a time Steve Harris used 4x12s with ev12ls and those made for big cabs Sheehan had custom 4x15s w Roth.

11. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I wouldn't necessarily plug it in, just for the looks! I've done gigs with other bands where we all had 8x10s and put em all on stage for all the sets just swapping heads for 1,cab and it looked awesome

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I move my own stuff now. When I was younger, I went big, and while there is nothing like the force of an SVT and an 8x10, at 2am there is nothing like getting your pay and packing quick. Also, the size of the rig means nothing to me. I saw Brian Setzler perform with a smaller Fender amp, and a backdrop of a painting of Marshall stacks. If I want to see a wall of amps, I can just walk into Guitar Center.

Then again, I'm older, and I don't play metal. YMMV.

13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I hear ya man. I'm 41 now so I'm still good. I definitely agree about getting out of there but it really only takes about 10 min to load up a rack, cab, pedalboard, stand case and 2or 3 basses and hit the road.

14. I can't deny the majesty of a fully powered large bass rig. Love it. But for my gig it is just impractical. My 212 is plenty.

15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If it makes you happy, go for it. As I get older I get smaller. I'm selling my Trace Elliot rig, then getting a pair of 2x10s to go with a class D head.

16. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Metal:

a.

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I used to do the whole fridge sized stack of speakers, preamp and poweramp etc ... what it mostly did for me was weigh too much and cause transportation problems. As bulldog above, the older I get the less I want to haul around. We also try to keep the stage volume as low as we can; it's better musically to be able to hear what everyone plays, and it's better for your health.

But I do recognize the image part of it especially in rock genres, and that some players need the oomph to feel the bass. If it works for you, go for it, but do protect your ears.

18. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I never use less than a 4 10 live and my acoustic 370 or svt450. I've enjoyed using ampeg 810s and sometimes take my mesa powerhouse 1000 with these heads but really its a pain to move. But I agree, a loud rock band doesn't look right without a big rig present on stage and I like being heard on stage and not struggling to cut through.

19. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Metal = empty speaker cabs?

20. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Everyone is saying it's not metal/rock if there is not a lot of big amps on stage. That's a picture of rock/metal/whatever with big amps/cabs on stage, from a different point of view...

Razman and buldog5151bass like this.