1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Singles in the Studio

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bareass, Nov 5, 2010.

1. hey all,
    i"m about to pull the trigger on some pickups.

but i would like to know what kind of experience people have had with big singles in the studio. is the hum too much?

i'm building a bass that will likey have 2 of these (or big splits) in the sweet spot and another at the neck... all bended.

2. anybody???

i'm wondering if the singles would be too noisy for studio recordings

3. Whether or not the hum would be "too much" is entirely dependent on the environment in which you are playing. If you are around sources of 60Hz hum such as transformers, CRT monitors or fluorescent lighting, you will have more hum.

If you are concerned, ask the recording engineer how the studio has typically been for single coil players.

4. i don't have a single coil bass.

is there anything that could help with hum is that kind of situation?

5. Avoid sources of 60Hz hum if possible, and experiment with positioning yourself such that the bass faces away from them.

6. so there are no devices or anything that can cancel, or lessen a hum?

i'm just thinking, if i'm playing a show in a pit, or bar, or studio and i get a buzz from something, would that bass be unusable, i know if i don't single the pick up i can drop the buzz a bunch.

i guess i would just have to carry a double coil back up!

7. I've heard this thing works wonders on hum:

http://www.ehx.com/products/hum-debugger

As far as dealing with it in the studio, people have been recording on singlecoil basses for about 50 years now so I think you should be OK even without the Hum Debugger.

8. +1.
    Not just basses though, Strats and Teles are on millions of recordings as well.

If you show up to a studio with a single coil-equipped instrument, it's their job to take care of 60Hz hum, and you're certainly not going to be the first time they have had to deal with it.

9. SevenReasons

SevenReasons

Nov 18, 2005
    Alberta
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall Guitars, Ashdown Amps
    I've done live, studio and pit orchestra work with big singles and I've never had an issue that couldn't be sorted out with a 3min sound check with a sound guy. LOVE mine!

10. thanks guys... thats the kind of stuff i was hoping to hear.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    The best tones I've ever gotten in the studio have been with my Stambaugh with big singles and an OBP3.

12. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    The hum debugger works great for a live impossible situation. I had a hard time at Buddy Guy's in Chicago with a bullet proof shielded jazz. There is a giant transformer just outside. The engineer threw one on my bass and it was gone. The rub: One note, I think it was the B, 2nd fret on A string, was out of phase and was completely gone! It changes the sound a pinch but got me out of a jam.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    That's because it's at ~60Hz, which is right around the frequency of 60-cycle hum. You may have noticed that the 4th fret on the G-string is a little weak too.

14. like i said, this will be my only bass with single, i usually have a backup with me
    but that hum debugger is something i'm going to look into!

15. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    You could also consider the fat stack...just saying.

16. don't want them on this bass, already thought about that.

17. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    2 close together and a third one will not humcan each others... I don't know how good of an idea is to place two BS close together.... but you never know, right?

The BSp have been improved from the first generation and they sound VERY close to the BS.

M

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i have the fat stacks, yet run them often in "single coil" mode.

as long as you're not running just one pickup or moreso to one pickup, and allowing both pickups to be used at full volume, they humcancel each other out regardless.

besides, even w/ my strats, most competent engineers will run a noise gate to taste.

19. Degauss a big single and use it as a humcancelling dummy coil.

20. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've never had any hum issues with my Big Singles, but I do run the blend evenly 95% of the time.