1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

biggest cab for a walkabout head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meta, Apr 20, 2009.

1. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    the walkabout head is 300w (at 4 ohms... 8 ohms would be 165w). Right now it is in the walkabout combo 12, and sounds great. But I'm contemplating the purchase of a larger cab if the need should ever arise, and am wondering what size would be appropriate. What can the head handle?

a 4x10 would probably be wicked... But would an 8x10 be worthwhile? ie. would I get any return on sound out of an 8x10 versus a 4x10 with the 300w walkabout head?

thanks!

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Ohm loads the same between the 410 and 810, you will get 3 dB more with the 8x10, regardless of how hard you can push it. The real key is just getting to 4 ohms.

3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I love the visual of the Walkabout perched atop the 810.
    I'd love to hear it though.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You always get more SPL per watt with more equivalent drivers. Thus a similarly equipped 810 will do more than a 410 of like drivers. 16 drivers would do more yet, etc etc etc.

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I think Tom Bowlus had a pic some time ago with a Walkabout head on top of a large cab like an 8x10. I know that someone else showed a pic of the even smaller GB Shuttle 6.0 on top of some large cab too. Funny image.

To the OP. Another consideration when thinking about cabs, is overall rig flexibility. So, we have agreed that the Walkabout driving an 8x10 is perfectly do-able, and will result in more perceived volume compared to smaller cabs, due to more cones pushing air. But you should also consider your playing needs. You could get 2 8ohm 4x10's and then, with your Walkabout 12 combo, have a rig that you could use as:

1x12 Combo stand alone
    1x12 + 4x10 running at 2.67ohms
    Walkabout head into 4x10 @ 8ohms
    Walkabout head into 2 4x10 @ 4ohms

That's a lot of felxibility :hyper:

good luck

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may be thinking of this photo:

105_0525.

That's the Walkabout on top of my Powerhouse, Jr. and Diesel 4x10. The Walkabout drives this rig pretty well.

But again, driver efficiency is key. I keep meaning to try the Walkabout with my AE410. :bassist:

Tom.

7. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I hadn't thought of that, that is an excellent point. and I guess the order from quiestest to loudest would be:

1. walkabout head into 4x10 @ 8 ohms
    2. 1x12 Combo stand alone at 4 ohms
    3. Walkabout head into 2 4x10 @ 4ohms
    4. 1x12 + 4x10 running at 2.67ohms

Or would 3 and 4 be about the same?

Also: that is a great pic ;)

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I'd say track down one of the old Acoustic 4-15 cabs and kill small animals and maim small children.

9. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hard to say given the modest additional power the 2.67ohm load would get out of the Walkabout head. I'm going to guess that the 2 x 4x10's @ 4ohms would be your volume champ based on total cone area.

Although, I am a big proponent of mixed driver set-ups and I'd personally pick the 1x12 + 4x10 combination (even though I do not care for 10's in any combination ... this is just total personal choice).

enjoy!

10. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I guess the first step would be to get a 4x10, or a 1x15 (I agree that a mixed driver set-up would probably be optimal) at 8 ohms, and then add it when I want the extra.... or just get both the 4x10 and 1x15 and either use the combo by itself, or add one of the cabs, or just use both of the cabs.

The manual indicates that 2 ohms is to be avoided whenever possible, even though it will handle it... pity, else I could just get both cabs at 4 ohms, and then always run at 2 ohms.... but it doesn't say anything about 2.67. From the walkabout mega thread, it looks like that is acceptable though, although the last posts there are 4 years old, I guess the equipment hasn't changed.

thanks for all your input!

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, Tom B. already has this beat (of course! :D), but I tried my Walkabout head through an NV610 recently. As you might expect, that combination kicked ass!:bassist:

12. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    check the mega thread again .. many a Walkabout user, including myself, use the Walkabout at 2ohms all the time with no reported issues. The only thing you should watch while using a 2ohm load, is not running the master too much over 12 noon.

should be fine.

13. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    perfect! and gain at noon to 3pm still ok I assume.

then for a second cab I'd almost be better to get a 4 ohm 4x10 and/or 4 ohm 15.... or some sort of hybrid - that powerhouse pic looks pretty good!

thanks again for the info

14. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I used one with a Diesel 215 cab and peeled paint off the walls!!

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Ooh, I bet you did, T! That sounds like a monstrous rock combo.

16. K-roth

K-roth

Nov 28, 2008
    Holiday Florida
    I use my walkabout scout for small gigs, but if I need to peel paint from walls, I pair the head with a Peavey 1820 ( 4 ohms - killer! ) or an Ampegsvt 1510 ( 8 ohms- nice ), or pair the combo with the Ampeg ( 2.67ohms- real nice ). Have yet to try the PV and Ampeg together ( 2.67 ohms, 1-18", 1-15", 3-10" & horn- BRUTAL ) super modular, very flexible, awesome tone. Used a big ole Peavey 2-15" at practice for a while, and that thing would rearrange internal organs. VERY loud for 300 watts

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have both a Walkabout and a Deisel 215, and never tried the 2 together. Great idea, I see a test drive in my future.

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'd imagine that #1 would actually be louder than #2. The increased speaker area with the 410 should more than offset the extra 135 watts you get from 4 ohm operation with the 112. And then, I'd also guess that the 2x410 @ 4 ohms setup would be louder than the 112 + 410 at 2.67 ohms. Again, speaker area should more than make up for the difference in power. Or so I think ...

Cheers,
    Liam

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in terms of how big of a cab a head can power, it's just about all about impedance, not number of drivers. I've played my 150 watt electric blue through 4 ohm 8x10 cabs. Is it as loud as an 800 watt amp through the same cab? Nope. but it's louder than putting it through a 4 ohm 2x10. :smug:

but have you ever moved an 8x10 cab?

20. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    thanks for all the input, I think I might just do the following:

get another 2x12 cab at 4 ohm. that way, I'd have (in order of quietst to loudest):
    1. the combo 1x12 (with the 1x8 downward passive radiator) 4 ohm
    2. the 2x12 cab (4 ohm)
    3. the combo and the 2x12 (so really 3x12) at 2 ohm

if the combo was 8 ohm I'd consider getting an 8 ohm 2x12.... but since I'm already at 4 to begin with, might as well just load that sucker up with a 2 ohm load (and keep the master below noon) if I ever require it. Most of the time I'd be just the combo, and then sometimes with the head and 2x12. I don't even have a situtation I'd need them together, but that may change I guess.

it seems like that would give me the most flexibility, and keeping them all at 4 doesn't seem to be a problem from what I've read about the walkabout.... 1,2, or 3 12 inch speakers, depending on the requirement ;)

cheers!