1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bill Wyman Back with the Stones ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hotrodjohn, Jul 12, 2012.

1. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
  2. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wyman is very underrated.

3. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Why not? The fans would love it and its a smart move from a marketing standpoint. Remeber Bill quit, he wasn't asked to leave.

4. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I read somewhere a while ago where Bill Wyman mentioned he'd be open to doing this tour. I agree on all fronts that it would be most excellent.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Oh jeez, I guess I will get sucked into buying another way over priced ticket to see them on this tour. But it will make for a even dozen times I have seen them going back to their '72 tour.

6. wilberthenry

wilberthenry

May 12, 2009
    I am not sure another tour is a great idea. Wyman will be 76 in October, Watts is 71. Can these guys hold up physically to the demands of touring?

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I don't think they will be packed into a club van pulling a trailer.

I am sure they will spread the shows out, fly in a nice jet and stay in nice motels.
    Bill isn't the kind of guy that runs around the stage. If Mick and Keef can do it, Bill and Charlie will be fine.

8. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Neither of them is particularly active on stage and I imagine their travel arrangements are pretty opulent at this point, so I suspect they'll do just fine. I think it would be great if Wyman comes back for this tour, though I won't cough up the money to see it.

9. If Wyman tours with the Stones I guess I'll have to scrape up the money for a ticket.

Anyone wanna buy a '98 Toyota RAV4? :atoz:

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Got tired of sitting at home and doing whatever one does when 'retired" ?
    I'd be tempted to go to see them for this reason(Bill being back) only.

11. htt

htt

Mar 24, 2012
    Yes but will he be playing the Mustang or another custom
    short scale!!

12. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  13. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
  14. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Very interesting news.

15. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Like many band members collaborating on originals then getting no writing credit, Wyman and Ginger Baker and so on and so on complain that Jagger/Richards or Clapton/Bruce get the money and they get much less. I think it would be great if the Stones corporation took Watts/Wyman on their multi-million dollar tour and threw a few million their way. They deserve it!

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    he is much underrated as a bass player, that's for sure. must have been difficult in a band like the Stones where the other guys seemed to rule the roost.

questionable story alert ;) - my guitarist met him last year, apparently Wyman is totally obsessed with old blues records. which makes him cool in my book!

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Fascinating...

So here's a question for the corporate lawyers: Will Wyman be reinstated as an "official" bandmember with a vested interest & take-home pay based on ticket grosses (like Watts, Woody, Mick, & Keef)... or will he be a hired gun on salary/retainer, like Darryl Jones (& Chuck Leavell et al)?

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    This could well renew my interest in the Stones. I only saw them live once (Steel Wheels tour), but was very impressed Charlie & Bill's ability to create a deep, fat pocket in a stadium environment. That's not an easy thing, and it comes from a lifetime of playing together. I doubt they'd have any problem falling right back into it.

DJ is technically a better player, but Bill has always been a been a huge and unrecognized factor in what made their best records great.

19. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Leavell doesn't get a bigger cut? That's a pretty raw deal for being musical director for 25+ years.

20. To be honest, I lost interest in the Stones when Wyman left. No disrespect to DJ, he's technically a better player, but Bill's playing fit the Stones much better IMO. It would be a great thing if he came back