1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bill Wyman or Keith Richards on bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 8, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I always liked Bill Wymans Bass playing but I have heard that Keith Richards plays bass on some of their albums. The songs I know about are:
    2000 Light Years
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Street Fighting man
    Live With Me
    A lot of songs from Exile on Main St
    and others
    When I listen to Get Your Ya Ya's Out I really like Bills bass lines on some of these songs.
    Although Keith sounded great on bass on some studio cuts I still prefer Bill Wyman on bass. What do you think?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have seen the Stones 9 times over the years, 7 of them with Bill on bass.

I like Bills playing
    Just because he didn't write the lines or play them on the record doesn't mean he couldn't lay it down live.
    He was great at improving and IMO played the songs better live.

3. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Big Wyman fan. While Keef and Mick Taylor were able to track some cool parts and get the job done on some tracks, Bill had a feel and groove they couldn't touch. I think Keith would be the first to admit it too!

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    They also used studio players on some tracks ... This was very common in the 60s and 70s.

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Bill Plummer played upright on some tracks on Exile.

On "It's Only Rock n Roll" it's actually Willie Weeks and Kenny Jones on drums (doing their best impersonation of Bill and Charlie;)

6. slobake

slobake resident ... something

That must have been tough, I think Charlie Watts is a class by himself.

7. While Keith did play some bass. I think it was mainly because Wyman didn't hang out at Nelcote till all hours of the morning. Actually, I believe he said that he hated it there. Bill and Charlie are a hell of a rhythm team though. Check out this Howlin Wolf record, they both play on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_London_Howlin'_Wolf_Sessions

8. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Nothing against bill but any stones songs with cool bass lines are played by keith, mick Taylor, or Ronnie. Especially from exile on

9. "Before They Make Me Run" is Keith on bass.

10. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Those guys had some pretty cool melodic lines but for example on Exile, to me at least, their playing is kind of meandering and busy, and doesn't sit in the pocket with Watts even close to the way Bill did. Bill and Charlie just dovetailed together in a really special way. Keith and Mick's parts feel more like they're just sitting on top.
    I will say though, I love Richards on Jumpin' Jack Flash!

11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    "Sympathy" with Keith on bass was kind of interesting. It was said that Bill Wyman was not able to play the part Keith wanted him to, so Keith recorded it himself. I know that a lot of people like that part, and I love Keith's regular guitar playing, but I would give anything to have heard Bill Wyman create his own part for that song (perhaps based around Keith's) because Bill was an awesome bassist.

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1!!!

13. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I don't know if we are allowed to post youtube links here, but check out Bill Wyman's Isolated bass clip for "Gimme Shelter." I love it!

14. chuckNC

chuckNC

Aug 21, 2012
    +1. And +1.

15. dvlmusic

dvlmusic

Jul 24, 2010
    Alameda, CA
  16. loogy1

loogy1

Feb 23, 2013
    richmond, va
    bill wyman is one of the best when it comes to bass. played his role very well and was very tasteful and from my understanding keith didnt do a whole lot of anything on exile because he was too doped up theres a documentary about it called EXILE ON MAIN ST. (i think thats the title more or less) any way like others have said even if he didnt record them i bet he still played it way way better than any of the other members

17. pinebrookjohn

pinebrookjohn

Oct 24, 2009
    Scranton pa
    Im not sure why everyone loves exile on main st so much. To me its the start of there downfall.

18. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Let me just say that Mick Taylor plays a great bass part on "Coming Down Again". This is not a slam against Bill Wyman...I think he is a great bass player!

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My second favorite Stones cover is Steve Earl and the Supersuckers doing "Before They Make Me Run".

20. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I never heard this isolated before. I gotta say, I love this tone---very cool!

morrisonhendrix and design like this.