Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

billy sheehan with steve vai.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by steviecsg, Jul 29, 2004.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    just caught the steve vai concert down in Singapore suntec city tonight. Everyone had a solo spot and billy took a few memorable soloes that simply blew me away.

ive watched his tapes but this is the first time i'm seeing him live in person. It's absolutely fantastic.

btw, anyone know how tall billy is? seems like a pretty tall chap.

2. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    After he saw Vai's DVD, our lead guitar player made us cover "Shy Boy."

Let me tell you, that hand over hand stuff isnt easy. :help:

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He's only about 6'1 or 6'2 I believe, he's quite thin however, which contributes to the "height" perception.

....then again, I saw him standing next to Michael Anthony, sooo.... :D

4. i saw the vai concert monday night down in sydney...he is pretty talln lanky...but i gotta say i wasnt that impressed by him from what i had heard from people on here about him...of course he is good but he cant groove, even on vai tunes you need some amount of groove, billys solo left me bitter, i thought that vai was better off with phillip bynoe, even better with stu hamm...i was really cut that billy didnt slap on the bass solo of blue powder, and he massacered for the love of god....stu, phillip, come back please

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I saw billy with steve a cpl years ago at G3, i must say, they were doin dueling solos.......completly blows you away.

Stu always was at that show......AND HE DIDNT HAVE A SOLO SPOT UNTIL THE VERY END GROUP PREFORMANCE ( Vai, Joe, John{from dream theater}, Billy, and stu) all on stage at once......just awsome

6. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I saw the Steve, Billy version of the DLR band back in Eat Em and Smile days and they rocked the house! The new songs rocked and the VH tunes just shredded with the quality of the players. Too bad Dave couldn't hold on to that lineup! :bassist:

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Wow..... :confused: IMO his playing with Niacin grooves. He grooves on 'Eat Em' and Smile' too.

8. ill put it this way, billys playing makes me wanna stand still, while stu, roscoe beck, phillip bynoe make me wanna dance, billy overplays, but stu really fits in with satriani's playing....i dont really care if he was voted by guitar world best rock bassist 5 years in a row, doesnt mean **** to me, plus they're also guitarists, if i was voting for best rock bassist, it either be adam clayton or flea