Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Billy Sheehan Yamaha Attitude II limited

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.Typhus, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Mr.Typhus

Mr.Typhus

Sep 14, 2004
    Finland
    Well... I´m gettin This bass and it will come this week! :hyper: ... I have played one of those once and i loved it :) ... So, Do anybody else have this bass? Comments? ... Pictures? :) ... AAARGH! i cant wait ´til i get it! :hyper:

2. Sorry to KABOOM this thread to the top, but if it wasn't here I would have started one myself anyway.

I have an Attitude II bass and I love it. Feels and sounds good. Heaps of features.

IMO, the biggest let-down is that it only has 21 frets. I like a few more than that, but who cares?

Does anyone else have one or would like to start a discussion on one or will this fall back to the bottom?

3. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    I've always thought I would like this bass, but never had the opportunity to play one in a store. What does the neck "woofer" pickup do for the sound? and how is the neck width on that thing?

4. Billy claims that the neck is very thick, but I've found it one of the thinner necks I've played.

The woofer is good. It makes the sound really think and full. My pick-ups need a bit of adjusting though, because the P pick-up is louder than the woofer.

Lots of great features on the bass, too. There's the scalloped (scolloped?) frets up the high end, and the drop D tuner, and the stereo outputs.

And because it's a Yamaha, I think that they could deck it out with more features for the price, because you're not paying for the name.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jack, do you have any issues dealing with scalloped frets? I can't seem to play them without going grossly out of tune.

6. The scallops are only from the 17th fret onwards and only on the D and G string. They're not like classical guitar scallops, either. They've very deep and pronounced (I'd say that they'd be about 5mm deep). Bassically the idea is to get right under the string so you can get a solid bend.

I find them pretty useless, but I love showing my bass around and saying "Check out these scalloped frets. How exotic is that?"

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i heard 2 things:

1. the neck pickup isnt very good for slap becuase it gets in the way,im not sure if it makes that much differance because ive never played one i just heard it from someone else.

2. according to the video on guitar.com its good for neck bends.

8. The bass slaps like crap. So do I.

The thing I don't like about the neck pick-up is that you can't pick very well. I hardly ever use a pick, but it;s very difficult when I want to.

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I love those basses. I played a 10th Anniversary edition once, and tried to get credit from Guitar Center to buy it. A black LTD II will definitely be my next bass, if I don't break down and get a Geddy first.

10. Really? So it's considered a reliable bass is it? I was a little unsure when I got it. I liked it but I didn't know if it would do the job. I still want an American jazz, though.

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I had 2 of them. a blue one, and a red one.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I was going to get one, and a friend of mine from Ireland bought one so I got talking to him. I was quickly turned against the idea...he loves it, but he's not a slap player. Apparently, the woofer pickup doesn't get in the way of slapping, but it's too high to pop on...you can't get your fingers under the string to make the pop!

That turned me right off the bass...it's great for fingerstyle, but slap is such a big part of my playing I couldn't warrant buying a bass which I couldn't do it on!

13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I didn't have a problem popping on the one I played.

14. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the question you have to ask is : "is it Billy Sheehan that makes you think the bass sounds good? or is it actually a amazing bass"
    i have no idea........

15. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thats what i was just thinking....

-Jake

16. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    How is it in terms of price and quality compared to other Yamaha signatures? I know they make the John Pattitucci sig, and they have that at a music store near here for like 4 grand, and they also have the Yamaha Nathan East, Myung, and the bassist from Van Halen's signature, all are pretty expensive. How does at Attitude compare to them? As far as Yamaha sigs go, I was kinda thinking of getting the John Myung 6 string for the versatility/quality and the price.

17. i thought the sheehan cam with fret lights
    and a great big thumbs up to the myung i played it at music live and its the lightest and the easiest playing 6 stringer ive ever played loved it i really want one

18. I went into the music store looking for an American jazz bass and came out with a Yamaha Billy Sheehan sig. I have never been a huge fan of Billy, and i deffiantly didn't get it for the name, but it just felt so good that I got it.

It was retailed at $2550 (Aus) but I got it for $1700 because I'm cool. I don't know why. I played it and asked how much and I said I couldn't afford it so he gave it to me for $1700. It had probably been sitting in the shop a while.

19. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    i tried the attitude out last week, i think it may have been the sheehan model, but i didnt like it, so much so, i picked by wonderful MIM p-bass special over it. To me it felt clumsy, and i didnt like the neck pick up at all but then again, i ain't into the sheehan tone, i prefer metal lol

20. On the latest G3 DVD, Billy (now with Steve Vai) plays a double neck version where I believe the bottom neck is strung BEAD. There's a song called Build the church where I'm pretty sure he's playing that woofer pickup, because the tone is simply like nothing I've heard before, so deep, full and thick, but still clear and tuneful. BTW great performances too by Dave Larue with Petrucci and Matt Bissonette with Satriani, check it out if you've got a chance.