Birdsong string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. BassJo

BassJo

Dec 22, 2008
    Norway
    Hi Birdsong owners.
    I would like to know the string spacing on the 4-string Cortobass, but couldn't find any info on their website. Could anyone help please..?

JoE.

2. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    17mm

3. BassJo

BassJo

Dec 22, 2008
    Norway
    Thanks!
    I thought it was wider, but 17mm is perfect!
    I really want one of those.... :hyper:

4. K.Ross

K.Ross

May 19, 2008
    I've had this Hy5 for a month now,and I tell you what, Scott builds a H--- of a bass!! It is scary to send money to someone to build you a bass,but I will vouch 100% for the quality of Birdsong.I have 2 Carvins..(and I love them dearly) but the Hy5 beats them HANDS DOWN for tone. LOL.
    Kent:bassist:

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I'll vouch also. It's money well spent for the best bass available. By the way, if you want a different spacing (say 19mm) Scott can do it for you, for a small price increase. Heck, Scott can build you anything you want if he has the time.

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

+1000 to what Ross & Dean said. The Birdsong will spoil you so that when you go to play you will pick it up over everything else in your stable.

7. BassJo

BassJo

Dec 22, 2008
    Norway
    I will soon find out! Just bought the Rat Rod #3 (can still be seen in the inventory pages). Can hardly wait- though it may take some time to get it shipped to Norway....
    Have been gasing for a Cortobass for a long time- hope I won't be disappointed!:hyper:

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

This is definitely true. My Cortobass has become my main bass. It's just so comfortable and fun to play. Whenever I jam, everyone else finds an excuse to grab it and play it a bit. Sometimes I have to take it back by force!

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    You will not be disappointed... That Rat Rod is pretty sweet looking. I would love to pick one of those up as a backup to my Corto 8c-117 (not that I worry about needing a backup... it is solid!... my Varitone did go out once, but Scott had a new one out to me zoomy-fast and it is great now). I would just love to have a backup that felt just like my main bass, and those Rat rods would be great. One day when I am a rich music teacher, I will pick one up or order another Corto...

Sorry... what was I saying? OH! You are gonna love it. Congrats! (trying to work in a "Norwegian Wood" joke, but just cannot find it...)

10. BassJo

BassJo

Dec 22, 2008
    Norway
    Received the "Rat Rod" yesterday (see avatar) and yes, you were right, I love it!! :hyper:

11. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Congrats, BAssjo!

Can I ask you a question? Feel free to say "none of your business!": I know I saw the RatRod on the Birdsong site, but I can;t remember how much it was... Do you mind telling me how much it was? I only ask because I have the idea of getting a second Birdsong creeping into my head... but I am probably going to wind up looking for a used one if I can find it, for $$ reasons...

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Getting back to the OP's question....

I saw Bassguy1's reply stating 17mm.

The Birdsong website indicates that they use Hipshot "A" style bridges. I went to the Hipshot website and found that those bridges come in five different string spacings as follows:

.787" (19.99mm)
    .750" (19.05mm)
    .718" (18.24mm)
    .687" (17.45mm) this matches a Rick 4001/4003 bass
    .656" (16.67mm)

I was wondering which one of those they use for the Cortobass? Does anyone know?

13. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    As a followup to my previous posting immediately above, I e-mailed Scott at Birdsong, and he confirmed that he uses this one for the bridge:

.718" (18.24mm)

That means it is 2.154" (2 and 5/32 inches) from the center of the E string to the center of the G string at the bridge.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021