Bits and Bits and Bits

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Sarbecue Boss, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    Looking for info on 8 bit fuzz/bit crusher/bit manglers. I'm trying to find one that is gonna carry a ton of lows, and youtube demo videos don't show that off very well. Looking for suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Bleu

Bleu

Dec 26, 2008
    Well try the effects forum you might have alot more chance to have a better view on the subject. On the other hand, i think there's a pedal called the bug crusher that does what you describe

3. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Try checking out the Devi Ever Bit Mangler.
    It's completely crazy, but may be what you need!

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i use a wmd geiger counter with a bass mod, it can sample crush and bit crush as well as many synth wave options, classic fuzz to nintendo, check it out

(i thought this pedal was cool, my pro noise and psych friends are always trying to borrow it to record)

5. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    WMD Geiger and Oto Biscuit. Both in heavy use by moi.

JMJ

6. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    Little bit beyond an 8 bit fuzz, but the Sherman filterbank is a killer mangler! Love it for use with all frequencies.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hey Justin,

Have you ever checked out any of the Iron Ether pedals?

www.ironether.com

It's a company started by a talkbass member, Taylor Livingston. Lots of great stuff. His Xerograph booted the Moog LPF from my board and is much less expensive and MUCH smaller. And the Oxide is a killer bass fuzz.

In any event, his new Frantabit does both true digital bitcrushing/sample rate reduction and the analog approximation of it like the Catalinbread Heliotrope or Bugbrand Bugcrusher. The expression control is what sold me. Mine shows up in a few days.

Just something I thought you should check out.

8. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Nice! I should check 'em out. Seems very intriguing w/ expression control.

J

9. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I love that these kinds of developments are happening in the pedal world. Reminds of a couple years ago, one of the big cymbal manufacturers (I forget which--Paiste, Zildjian, etc.) was developing a line that were intended to sound like trashy, downsampled DnB type of cymbals. Cool stuff.

10. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, absolutely. I'm a huge fan of Jojo Mayer and Nerve and I dig John Davis' approach on bass.

It's nice to have a bitcrusher with an expression pedal because you can modulate the sound in real time to ape some of those electronica like effects.

11. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    The expression pedal option I think just sold me. Haven't been able to find a demo yet, but that sounds like exactly what I'm going for.

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    i step on the knob and twirl it with my foot... not as efficient as an expression pedal, but it looks cool!

the BugCrusher stuff is amazing, too. I have a micro, and it is amazing. Gotta check out Taylor's FrantaBit, though. He made an amazing mayhem-inverse-pitch-shift-chiptune pedal for me, and it kills.

john

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Hope he guarantees it against you being sucked into another parallel universe ;)

Man, I envy you guys who get to play music where you get to use cool new effects and get wild new sounds.

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    On that note, here's Jean Baudin playing around with the Iron Ether FrantaBit. Very cool pedal. It makes the prettiest ugly sounds . . .

http://www.jeanbaudin.com/FrantaSplat.mp3