1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BLADE bass guitar (Levinson made)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragan, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Hello all!

anyone has troubles with Blade B4 electronic? ( I know not of players are familiar with Blade bass guitars )
    however,they were suiss made by guy name Levinson ,he used to work for Fender, later on he started productions of his own bass guitars... they were helluva great instruments, but company fail to succeed unfortunatelly...
    now they are made in China.... sad story...

however, I got one of those older model Levinson made,it's simply great bass BUT with LOUD electronic. anyone dealt with it and have some experience to share?
    thanks.

and here's that exact model in hands of a funk master:

AK66 likes this.
  2. basmartin

basmartin

Aug 6, 2007
    Sweden
    There are some trim pots in the cavity. I think you can adjust the gain there. Sold my Blade B4 six years ago so I might not remember correctly.

AK66 likes this.
  3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    thanx basmartin!

and thank you folks for tons of helpfull tips haha!!!

(this forum doesn't offers much unless it's "show your white basses with tort pickguards" or "what's best pick up for the...." neverthless...)

anyway, I came to solution - inside electronics cavity there IS really some hum trimmers pots (beside EQ fine pot adjusting) so the hum is gone and bass is singing great now! (this info is for someone who might have the same problem like I did)
    here's pics of the beaty:

Picture20012.

Picture20005.

Picture20007.

Picture20008.

cheers all!!!!:bassist:

androniksonik likes this.
  4. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    That beats the looks on fender any day

5. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I wouldn't agree - as this is to be replica of Fender, it looks just like Fender (+ - few grams...) but,it looks fabolous for sure,and it's constructions and materials are TOP NOTCH. such as we see only at the $2000+ basses

6. I think it looks better than Fender as well. I love the P bass but Fender's color selection is WAAAAAAAAY behind the competition.

7. Awesometastic bass! I want. These are very difficult to find on the American continent.

You own the original handmade Gary Levinson Blade B4 with the lawsuit headstock. I was lucky to had played one in a store in 1990. The color scheme was hot in the late 80s which is the period when Gary began building the B4. Blade basses are very popular in the UK.

Prob best to post questions in the Blade Club http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580997&highlight=blade

8. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    thank you man. I found solution to my problem already.
    yes, I guess it's rare on American continent...
    If you are really want some,try europe forums and for sale departements - if you have enough thrust....Best,Dragan

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    The B1 Tetra compnents are made in China. All others are made in Japan. All basses are assembled in Japan, with final set up in Basel Switzerland.

The new active basses have a far superior preamp to trim pot preamp. Levinson offers the new preamp to owners wishing to put the better preamp in.

Three years ago I did house cleaning, reducing the herd when the Sadowsky came. Two MIJ Fender Jazz's were sold. The China made Blade is a keeper. It does need preamp support, but I have that covered with a Sadowsky outboard. It's a well made bass. Gigged with it for six years.

10. crobasster

crobasster

Jun 16, 2009
    croatia
    This bass now belong to me,I'm happy owner!:p

11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I used to be Todd Rundgren's production manager in the early 90's. He had/has several Blade guitars of the Strat variety. They are killer. I'd love to find a Blade bass!

AK66 likes this.
  12. wrecksinc

wrecksinc

Nov 15, 2011
    Hey.. I just found this web ring because I came across a fretless limited edition bass .. I sent the serial number to blade and got this reply ....

Thanks for your E-mail and for playing a Blade Bass.

Yes, you own a limited series bass that was called the Blade Rockbass at the time and there were 150 pcs. made.

It has the following specs:
    - Soft maple body
    - Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
    - "Deep Growl" humbuckers
    - Variable Midrange boost
    - Jumbo Nickel frets.

I hope that this will help.

Best regards
    Levinson AG
    Christian Hatstatt
    Hi Christian .. Wow thanks for the info. Can you tell me what year it was made..its actually fretless.. what kind of price should I place on this if I were to sell it on eBay?? It has some buckle rash and a nick on the bottom.. I am a guitar player and I don't really like fretless basses.. thank you for your valuable input!! Rex
    - Show quoted text -
    On Nov 15, 2011 4:29 AM, "BLADE GUITARS" <blade@levinsonmusic.com> wrote:

Dear Rex,

Forward

More|
    BLADE GUITARS to me

show details Nov 16 (13 days ago)
    anyway, I realize there is a shortage of these basses in the US, I was going to post it on ebay but i am a little concerned about international shipping charges.. so I am hoping to sell to a US citizen.. My name is Rex Johnston I am in boston,MA.. If you aren't interested maybe someone you know will be .. Thanks Rex Johnston (312)735 0083

Hi Rex,

These wre built around 1991-1992 and the retail price in Switzerland was CHF 1'995.-

Best regards
    Levinson AG
    Christian Hatstatt

Blade: Home <http://www.bladeguitars.com>

13. wrecksinc

wrecksinc

Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry guys .. I actually thought I was sending a private message.. please don't be offended.. Thanks Rex

14. freemunga

freemunga

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi,

I own a BLADE B4, bought in 1991. I can tell you, there is no better sounding or playable bassguitar in the world. I've heard many things abouth the BLADE B4, good and bad. But I have played in Steel bands, Soul bands, Funk bands, Salsa bands and METAL.
    The BLADE B4 has always, ALWAYS produced the right sound i wanted.

androniksonik and AK66 like this.
  15. steweDbass

steweDbass Commercial User

Jun 9, 2013
    Tokyo Japan
    Bacchus / STR Endorsing Artist and direct Dealer of new and used MIJ Brands.
    The blade B4 was manufactured in Japan by Tune guitars up until the early 2000's. I have the exact same model, an early 90's one but with black hardware. It is awesome! I think the circuitry is wonderful and I never had any trouble with noise thus far. If anyone is looking for Blade B4s B3s or B2s I am in Japan and collect and trade MIJ bass guitars such as Bacchus, Atelier Z, Tune, Moon, etc etc. so just gimme a holler!

Body; 1 pc - ash
    Neck; 1 pc maple
    Fretboard; 21 fret ebony, 34"
    Nut; Ebony (beautiful nut!)
    Tuning heads; Gotoh
    Bridge; Gotoh
    Main vol, balancer, master tone, booster toggle.
    Condition 3/5 aesthetic damage, minor scratches and dints.

$(KGrHqVHJE4FGkM-PkVyBRupEFzfQw~~60_12.
    $(KGrHqJHJFUFGhGtSrTWBRupENT2Y!~~60_12.
    $T2eC16NHJG!FFmp1hv(oBRupEVPlCg~~60_12.

16. AK66

AK66 Commercial User

Apr 25, 2015
    The Hague, Holland, EU.
    Plug&Play:Project - non-profit project for the less fortunate, The Hague, The Netherlands.

I own one.. defreted in italy by a master luthier.. just bought it 3 months ago, and tweaked my sound indeed on the electronics... found a schematic for that on the net.. and i am sooo in love...
    she is a bit angry though.., for i am building a 6-string thru-neck monster now.. :p..
    "women..... , what can i say... "

Yours is beautiful!!!
    IMG_20150808_144128. IMG_20150808_144025. IMG_20150808_144220. IMG_20150819_131140. IMG_20150808_151859. >> IMG_20150911_180404. IMG_20150912_123155. IMG_20150912_123210.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    androniksonik likes this.
  17. AK66

AK66 Commercial User

Apr 25, 2015
    The Hague, Holland, EU.
    Plug&Play:Project - non-profit project for the less fortunate, The Hague, The Netherlands.

WOW!!!!

18. I unfortunately only own a blade stratocaster in horrible condition. (didn't come with original electronics or pickups). Plays beautifully but it isn't a bass.

I had a blade delta (telecaster) with the same blue finish. Also beautiful to play, but I'm not a guitarist, needed money and sold it.

19. AK66

AK66 Commercial User

Apr 25, 2015
    The Hague, Holland, EU.

Like this one??
    IMG_20150808_144115. IMG_20150808_144025.

20. amedeodebiase

amedeodebiase

Jul 20, 2016
    Hi, I own an 89' b4. Does anybody send a pdf owner manual?. Thank you.