1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blend Pot Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I prefer Volume/Blend to Volume/Volume. Mostly because I leave the pickups at the same level anyway, but also because I like volume swells, which are a lot harder with 2 volume controls. But with a blend pot, when it's in the center position, wouldn't the output of each pickup only be at 50%? Or are blend pots Audio Taper, like volume pots? I think that would leave their output a lot closer to 100% on each pickup in the center position. Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

One of the reasons I preferred two volumes (when I used onboard controls) was I didn't find a blend a very intuitive control - and this is an example of that. A blend doesn't work going from 100% at one end to 0 in opposite directions for each pup so that it's 50/50 at the detent.

It's 100%/100% (two volume max'd) at the detent tapering to 0% for the pup you're reducing while the other remains 100% max'd the whole time - just as if you rolled one pup volume down to zero starting with both pups max'd.

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Good information. That changes the way I'm now thinking about a blend knob... not the relationship between p'ups I pictured at all.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
  5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    This is the kind of thing I'll have to revisit a few times to be able to take it all in. But I get the very basic part- that the blending of p'ups is causing a lowering of volume. I'm not sure I get the difference between the passive phase cancelling of volume and the active pre's lowering of volume. Different character to each- passive is a natural phase cancellation, the active pre does it by purposeful design.

Honestly, I may just remove my BTS and add a DiMarzio J with another volume on my Schecter.

6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Okay I re-read the original post. I now like the idea of two volumes, I understand that relationship better. The way the original post describes the blend knob workings seems like something I'll have to remember (not for nothing I was called "Space" in high school!).

Seems that a pickup / pot combo will have a 'curve' defining it's character as you move along the knob's rotation. There might be an ideal spot for each p'up volume that you'd miss with this blend-knob thing. I want to define this relationship myself, I think.

Am I still having this conversation here? :D !

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually a blend and volume will cover any "space" two volumes will to my knowledge. However the impression is they appear to effect the quality of the sound adversely in a way two volumes don't.

I'd have to set up a comparison and I don't really have any plans to do so. Got some other things going and I basically don't use onboard controls so it doesn't matter much to me either way. This is more of curiosity for me not an interest and I don't have the motivation to get into something that's not of interest - too many other things that are.

I just point it out cause maybe someone's had some experience doing as much or has some technical take on it. And to create some awareness in case someone runs across something that supports one take or the other.

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Allright, I see... I believe you anyway! And I'm all for the creation of awareness, to a point! :D

Thanks for it though, it goes into the think-pot and comes up later as useful. I have a re-build project, and it's up in the air as to how I'll wire it, so all info is helpful.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have a balance control on my Jazz basses.

Onstage, I can roll it between deep bass on the neck pickup and burpy mid on the bridge pickup. I adjust eq on my amp as needed for the room.

It's simple. It's effective. I don't and will not analyse it beyond that.