1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blending dry/wet signals

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by JimmyM, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, even though I could do every gig I play with no effects, I'm back on them after seeing all the fun you and everyone who uses them are having. But I'm a little behind the curve since the last time I used a pedalboard onstage was 12 years ago.

It mainly concerns blending...I'm thinking about running the distortion and phase/flange through the effects loop in my EBS Microbass II since it's got a blend knob. I'm not using any reverb/delay yet, but I'm thinking they would probably work best in line and unblended, as well as the octaver (never thought I'd have a use for one but I'm hooked). But I'm undecided about envelope filter and synth pedal (if I can find one that tracks well enough for me). How do you think they work blended? Are there any benefits to it, or do you think I'd be better off putting them in line?

Also, do you have any strong opinions about which effects should be blended and which shouldn't that might help me out?

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I dunno, I've never messed with blending stuff. I just kick that s*%t on and rock it! Commit! :)

Seriously though, in the last Bass Player, I read that review of that sweet Xotic blender pedal, looked pretty rad, actually.

I don't know which pedals are better to blend or not, I'm not really experienced in that. Hmmm...I like distortions with a blend. Delays have a mix, octavers are innately blendable, obviously. Maybe in the effects forum they'll have a better notion.

JMJ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, there's a lot to be said about that approach. Used it for years and it served me well. But this place'll ruin you for that, bro. Honestly, I spend way too much time on here. I need a vacation ;)

Thanks Justin...sound advice as always.