Blew my whizzy!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by what the pluck, Nov 2, 2016.

1. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Not as rude as it sounds. My Whizzy 10 has blown and I am looking for another cabinet or even replacement speaker. I run an old Acoustic Image clarus 1 with a Headway EDB2, Bass Maxx and a DPA mic. I play abou 50/50 Pizz and Arco.

To be honest, I never really thought the whizzy carried much bottom end, I could get an 'OK' sound but just never really felt the low stuff was doing it for me.

Any suggestions for a speaker that would satisfy to run with my set up?

2. Got a maximum weight in mind?
    A budget? New or is used OK?

3. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    I am open minded really. I'd prefer a single speaker cabinet just for portability resons but otherwise am keen to hear what people have to say.

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I'm a big fan of the EA 12" M-line cab and use it for all my gigs.

mpf likes this.
  5. Greenboy Audio is the last name in speakers among the crowd I run with.

I'll remember the name of the authorized builder in Australia if I think about it long enough.

6. Is this a common thing for the Whizzy 10?

Mine blew, too, but as I've not been gigging much I've spent the money for the new speaker elsewhere.

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I would want to look into why the speaker blew. Unless you know you were putting way more through it than it was designed for you may have a problem with your amp. If there is a problem with the amp you may just blow the new speaker too.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    MAS 26 or 45 are great and portable. You can overdrive any speaker especially if you look for more low end than it can handle. I've found speakers will blow over time from normal use, too. If you've been running it for a number of years, it could be just wear and tear.

9. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    The Whizzy worked pretty hard for about 4 years, I purchased second hand too, pretty sure it's wear and tear. But thats a good point, theyre may be an issue with the amp as well, something to check out.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Budget range? hard to make a solid recommendation without one.

11. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Under $1000 Aust

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Translation for the folks stateside: that's about $760-ish or below.

13. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    excuse my accent... thats pronounced 'Strayan' by the way!

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Understood. Surprised you didn't call me out as a Ranga! :D

what the pluck likes this.
  15. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I blow up cabinets regularly. The Whizzy is a small cab, so it does not take that much to kill it. I'm amazed you got four years of use out of it. Four years of too much mid range; mine lasted a week....You'll be excited to hear yourself through an upgrade. You could always just repair the speaker for a couple hundred dollars and be back in the game with the same sound if it works for you.

Here is a great choice for a single cab within your budget:
    For Sale - Audiokinesis TC112

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021