Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blown my speaker in GK12

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by 33degrees, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    is it possible to buy another speaker and install it myself in my gk mini combo, its a really old one, not the newer design . is there a special speaker cone to buy?
    thanks very much

2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Search both the electric and upright forums for "gk mb200" and maybe "speaker". You do need a specific speaker, as standard shaped ones are too deep for the combo.
    I have an MB200 and the surround had deteriorated on the speaker. A friend with a lot of experience helped me to re-edge it. Total cost was 15 bucks and a big thank you.
    If this is what you need done, I think a pro re-edge, is something like 50 bucks maybe. A new speaker from GK was $150 when I last checked.
    Good luck.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    My 200MB also had toasted foam when I got it used a few months ago. I got it professionally refoamed for $30. If the voice coil or cone itself is damaged it will cost more.

In any event, be aware that you'll have to remove many of the screws holding the amp together because the 200MB's speaker is mounted from the rear. While it's apart you might want to replace some of the rubber gaskets if your amp rattles at all. Be sure to blow out the dust while you're in there. Have fun...repacing the gaskets and getting the amp back together took me a few hours.

4. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    not sure what mosel it is butits really old, it looks quite different from the current models, rougly the same shape but not so plasticy looking, is that the mb200? and yes it looks like the foam/ rubber stuff from around the edges has just flacked off.
    thanks