blues turnarounds

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Youngspanion, May 5, 2005.

1. I know to some of us this is "beating a dead horse" but, I cant seem to get the info I need. I want to understand turnarounds. I posted a question about bass books but that got me almost no where except for one replie. I seached the threads but I can't understand some of the things I'm reading. Can any one either explain to me how their built (not where they go), or where I might be able to find some detailed information on this redundent subject?

thats the site i use for anything like that i need, with a link to the blues turnaround lesson already. its for guitar, but the theory is the same for bass. iin its most basic for, its simply an authentic cadence with just a V7 to a I but they explain how to use diminished chords to make it more interesting and lead better. Dont freak out with the chords, it shows examples and you can listen to midis of them and it has music. just look at the chords, and you can use notes from there and itll work sound decent. try just using the tonic first though, itll make more sense. hope this helps, if not say so and ill try to explain it more for you if the sites not good for you. keep rockin
  3. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    I'll give you a little crash course on it!
    A turnaround means a chord progression that gonna bring you back to the beginning of the form. It usually happens in the last two bars of the form. If we are in a standard blues, it is gonna happen in bar 11 and 12.
    So if we're in C :
    1) C |G7 ||
    2) C |Dm7 G7 ||
    3) C Am7 |Dm7 G7 ||
    4) C A7 |D7 G7 ||
    5) C C#o7 |Dm7 Db7 ||
    6) C Eb7 |D7 Db7 ||
    7) Em7 Ebo7| Dm7 Db7 ||
    8) C7 Eb7 |Ab7 Db7||
    Here some I could think of right now, there are a lot more possibilities,but those are pretty standard. They are based on I-V and I-VI-II-V of the key.
    Hope this will help,
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IIRC, Bass Player once had an article/feature with Jerry Jemmott discussing turnarounds...if I think about it, I look for that issue tonight.