Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bob Daisly kick

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 20, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Lately, I've been on a bit of a Bob Daisly kick...I don't see his name mentioned much around here, maybe because he isn't a flashy virtuoso. But his bass lines for Ozzy were understated and totally right for the song, but there is ALOT of thought behind them.

I like the way he uses stucatto...not common in metal bass lines.

2. I really detest his sound from the first Ozzy album. But the lines are brilliant!

3. Bob Daisley is/was one of the most creative bassists in the late 70's / early 80's metal scene. His lines on both Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of A Madman are very cool, while most metal bassists were pumping out steady eighth notes (AC/DC, Judas Priest) he was playing lines that were all over the place and carrying the melody of the song in a big way.
    Two of my faves are "Tonight" from Diary and "Steal away The Night" from Blizzard, but they are all very cool lines.
    If you are a Bob Daisley fan check out Dennis Dunaway from the older Alice Cooper stuff, he's another guy with very cool melodic lines with alot of movement.

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A bass playin' buddy of mine once told me Daisly's his favorite bassist, and I said, "Huh?" I mean, I'd heard those albums a million times, but it was mostly before I played bass, and I guess I just didn't pay much attention to the basslines. Now, whenever I hear those old tunes pop up on the radio I find myself going, "Damn, Jim was right. This guy's really good!" I had never realized just how much that cat actually carried those tunes!

Matt

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    He worked very well with Randy Rhodes, a perfect pair for sure. Good call on Dennis from Alice Cooper too! Very good bassist.

I dug his tone (Bob) except for on Goodbye to Romance... cool line, but his chorus effect or whatever... a tad yucky.

6. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    he is really cool. a very un-sung individual.

he basicially wrote 90% of ozzy's lyrics and 50% of his music from blizzard-no more tears. i would care to say that without bob daisley, ozzy's solo career might not of been so identifiable.

the are better tones, and players, but you got to give it up to him.

http://www.bobdaisley.com cool site, gear, facts, stories, bitching about ozzie etc.....

7. My favorite Daisley line is S.A.T.O.....it rocks.
    Bob Daisley is one of the main reasons I picked up the bass. :bassist:

8. His bass line in "Tonight" is one of my favorite all time bass lines... on second thought all of Diary of a madman is classic!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. I like his work on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n Roll" album.

It sucks balls that Ozzy (or more likely Sharon) rerecorded the bass and drums on the first 2 albums. I listened to some of the new stuff and it sucks bad. Real bad.

10. Yeah....aside from a few hits, Ozzy's music has gone downhill since Bob Daisley has been out of the fold.

11. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Daisley is really underrated - & a pick player to boot!

I've got a great Rainbow DVD with him on it...

12. Another underrated pick player is Dave Hope from Kansas. He has some really tasteful lines. Anybody unfamiliar with Kansas beyond Dust In The Wind & Carry on Wayward Son should listen to their first 3 albums. Also you can try & download Magnum Opus from Ares or Kazaa...it's a pretty wild song & shows the really progressive side many people are unaware of.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've never been into Daisly, his lines were just too bassic. Simple stacato works but not for EVERYTHING, especially under a guitarist like Randy. I would have liked someone more Geezerish I suppose.

14. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had never before heard about these re-recordings and how Daisly got screwed. I'll never buy another Ozzy recording again, and will use other "means" to acquire his music.

15. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I love the bass sound (and bass line) on "Believer" from Diary.

Now that I think about it, I saw Bob Daisley live, playing with Gary Moore, at the Budokan - it must have been around 1985-86...

16. Take a closer listen, listen to "Tonight" from Diary of a Madman, it's a GREAT melodic legato bassline that completely carries the song, you walk away humming the BASSLINE after you hear that song a few times. It's anything but simple or staccato......

I was totally disgusted with the royal screwing that Ozzy and Sharon gave him too.....another example of the Music BUSINESS... :scowl:

17. And who exactly do you like?

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Bob's an amazing player.

I really enjoy reading interviews with him. Very cool that he has agreed with Ozzy calling him arrogant/prissy in the early days and admitted it and now he's saying he's really come around and matured personally and professionally. I look forward to hearing him again with Ozzy.

Both Ozzy and Bob have said that it will happen again and I look forward to it.

Very big influence on me!

I'm pretty sure those are his fretless lines on "Mama I'm Coming Home".... really cool work all in all.

19. A couple years ago I gigged with an Ozzy tribute band and got a real eye opener when listening to the Daisley era material. He has an awesome ear for the song and plays incredibly well. How did I never notice this before? Probably because of the heavy guitar layers......... He's one of my biggest influences now.

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    One of my favorites, this may be the first time I've seen him mentioned here. I wouldn't call his playing simple. He plays what fits the song. Steal Away the Night seems in the Geezer mode to me. That's one of my favorite songs/basslines ever. Some of the old Rainbow is pretty cool too, some of those songs are kind of weak though. Also played on the No More Tears album, and Black Sabbath's Eternal Idol, and tons more.

http://www.bobdaisley.com/index1.htm

The story of the remasters, and everything else, is here. Interesting gear section too, I like this part:

For the Blizzard album I used one of Randy’s 100-watt Marshall amps through a 4x12 cab – Gibson EB3 bass.

Something more recent:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...5362-8852167?v=glance&s=music#product-details