"Bob Wills Is Still the King"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by wolfs, Sep 18, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Does anyone like Bob Wills? I feel like he's underappreciated. I first heard about him from the Waylon Jennings song, and once I heard a bit of Wills's music, I was hooked.

I picked up a box set of his work (Take Me Back to Tulsa - from the label Proper Box - four discs for under $25) and I've been digging almost every minute of it. I really like older rural American music (acoustic blues, early jazz, early country, etc.) and it just amazes me how the Texas Playboys seem to put all these different influences together seemlessly.

Does anyone else feel on this? Am I the only person that gets goosebumps when Tommy Duncan sings?

2. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I live in Texas. It would be a criminal offense to say anything against Brother Bob.

But, truthfully, Bob Wills ruled. He still rules.

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I love that song! It might have been the first Waylon song I ever heard. I used to sing it every night, and I wouldn't mind bringing it back! :p

4. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I'm glad to hear that he's still remembered in Texas... I grew up in northern Wisconsin when top 40 country was just becoming really widespread throughout the rest of rural America... like when Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Clint Black were first hitting big. So most people's appreciate for country maybe spread back to the 60's and 70's (Waylon, Willie, Merle, Loretta) a lot of that stuff that I really like, but I never got a deep sense of the history of the music until I started digging on my own... Bob Wills's music just really impresses me since I like so many different genres, and the songs... they're so damn catchy!

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    "You can hear the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee,
    That's the home of country music, on that we all agree.
    But once you cross that ole Red River, hoss, that just don't mean a thing,
    Once you're down in Texas, Bob Wills is still the king!"

That's my favorite verse from the song... great song, great album. I even love the stupid little joke at the beginning of the song (I wrote this next song on the plane between Dallas and Austin... going to El Paso... whoops) :D

6. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    Bob Wills!

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Bob Wills indeed!
    i like the stuff he did with Mel Tillis
    as a guest,asleep at the wheel does
    some nice tributes to Bob as well
    good stuff...

cheers

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021