1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whisper14072, Nov 6, 2010.

1. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    I am looking to build a EBMM Bongo style bass.... any ideas were to find body measurements, or even patterns to follow??

:bassist:

2. There are so many compound curves on the Bongo Body that IMO it would hardly be worth your money to build it yourself (when time = money) or have it done by someone else. Also, the Bongo is very much the "sum of it's parts" - the body design & wood use were picked to specifically compliment it's very unique pickups & preamp, which I doubt you'd be able to replicate or find on the used market unless someone is parting one out.

...plus, unlike Precisions, Jazzes and other "Old-School Designs" I'm 99.7% sure that the Bongo design is Patented/Trademarked/whichever term works, in which case it's more than a bit unethical to copy. Honestly, your best bet is to grab one Used - it's a Buyer's Market right now, and I can't imagine it'd be cheaper to attempt to build a copy yourself.

3. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    Yea I kinda thought that... :/

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Bongos are about $800 used. You will easily spend that pursuing your own design which might look the same but will likely end up short in the sound department. JMHO they are hands down EB's best sounding bass (above even the new models)

I vote hit the Classifeds.

5. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    yea I think that is what I will do... I will build something else :)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Preemptive mod warning not to post pics of toilet seats...

7. LOL@MOD