Boomy E string on rough recordings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tendril, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just listened to some basement tapes of my jam band, and I head my E string very boomy oppoesd to the other string. where sometimes I could barely make out the ADG, the E would just blow out of the seakers.

Now, this is not a high tech setup, but would the culprit be more bass, amp, cab, or room in your thoughts?

Setup is: Peavey bass PJ passive PUs, BDDI as preamp, Mosvalve head as power amp, 1x15" Avatar compact 15 cab, general issue basement.

Any EQ'ing thoughts.

I just heard these tapes for the first time last night, so I haven't tweaked the BDDI EQ at all from where I had it set. (Bass and treable at 12:00, drive at 3:00). I'm thinking about cutting some bass and adding mids, but don't want to loose the lowend totally.

thanks

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'm no expert, but it could be a combination of a lot of things. Your idea of boosting the mids and dropping the bass is not a bad idea. That would be the first thing I'd try too.

I suspect your bass and setup is powwerful (boomy) across it's whole range, but you are being lost in the mix. Possibly your band,overall has a very powerful midrange and upper range presence, coupled with the room, washes you out.

Your recording device could also be overwhelmed with the treble and mids, thus washing you out too.

Just some ideas.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    cut at 40hz (the fundamental frequency of open E).

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    IMO sounds like you might need to adjust your pickup height.....

what kind of recording is it? just a mic or is your bass run through a D.I.? might just be the acoustics of the room.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    +1,000. This is where a parametric EQ would come in handy.

Riis

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Are you Mic-ing it or, directly coming out of the preAMP?
    you did not specify which.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    A great deal of this kind of uneven response come from Room Modes. Look up room acoustics and the physics of sound waves. Try moving your bass rig to a different location for recordings. Away from walls and corners, maybe even off of the floor. More than likely, you won't need to buy EQ's and other equipment...you just need to experiment with moving your rig around. Do research on this topic and do a lot of experimenting. The room you record in and how you set it up is just as, if not more important, to a recording than the equipment being used

8. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be jamming this weekend and will look into switching some things around.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021