Bootique speaker cables?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Dilatant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    Hello to all,
    Am looking to add some boutique speaker cables to my studio that are primarily oriented to bass rigs. simply for the purpose of experimentation. so, clients can shoot them out for themselves. I'm not concerned about the "snake oil" factor or hype. in a right or wrong way (I think that's been beaten to death) j but rather, just some different cables with different theories/stories behind them, that are engagingly fun to explore, for my clients that are interested in such things. My current inventory is:

-Rattle snake brand speaker cables
    -Mogami Gold
    -Evidence Siren II
    -Vovox Excelsus drive
    -Monster pro link 2000

Any recommendations are appreciated.

triode6L6a and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. Exactly what characteristics of the cables are you interested in comparing?

It seems that beyond a properly constructed cable using quality materials, there is nothing to compare. Unless you specify a particular set of comparative interests, anything beyond proper design and build with quality materials falls into the slippery serpent category.

amper, villegastx, mcnach and 14 others like this.
  3. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Snake oil and hype. ;)

dSay, amper, Gase Baytar and 28 others like this.
  4. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    I have 10 different bass heads and 20 cabs so; I do a lot of comparing, to get different sounds with my clients and often, I get asked about cables of various build qualities so, now I'm expanding on my cables as well. I'm not trying to prove anything either way, just providing my clients with what their searching for (real or not) so, they can come to their own conclusions. most of the question I get from clients seems to sound like, they have been reading a lot of marketing hype (which is fine to me) I have my own beliefs on things but, I'm here to satisfy the customers journey of curiosity.

5. It matters more for signal cables.

Speaker cables are used in a VERY low impedance setting so no noise can creep in.
    If you have at least 1,5mm2 cross section area and at least 7 strands/each then you're fine.
    But you do you, happy snake oiling ;-)

6. Different sound between tele plug and speakon ?
    These might mess with the sound more than the copper wire,

7. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    The ts plug vs. speak-on topic, often coms up so, I always buy both versions of each cable and length. It's quite fascinating to see what players think they hear, with different cables. It keeps them in the studio longer, which makes me more money, and satisfies their curiosity so, it's a win-win, in the end.

Happy Face, BlueTalon and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. Do you sell these cables? Or just make them available for use?
    I'm just trying to understand the end goal here.

If it is to sell cables to customers who buy into the marketing hype around speaker cables then I understand and respect that as being a part of your business model.

If the goal is to provide the customer with a way to try different combinations of equipment for comparative evaluations of heads and cabs, then the cable doesn't matter as long as it is consistent in design, construction and quality. Swapping cable manufactures when comparing heads and cabs, skews the head/cab comparison if one believes the slick brochure. But if your customers are interested in comparing heads/cabs and they also subscribe to the idea that one cable sounds different than another, I would think they would appreciate that the equipment comparison needs to be done using the same cable.

Geo Monty, JRA, yberwaffe and 2 others like this.
  9. Well now we are getting somewhere. Keeping them in the studio longer equals more profit. None of this was very clear at the beginning.

It's their money, if they want to spend it convincing themselves that one cable sounds better than another, then it's better they spend it in your establishment than letting them go to the competition.

10. Dilatant

Dilatant

Sep 6, 2020
    No, I don't sell cables, just provide them for studio use. some players couldn't care less while other simply won't let go of the idea that, different cables add things to their sound. and yes, there is the speaker cabinet afficionados as well! haha. I've learned to embrace the curiosity of people and their perceptions. again, in the interest of facilitating... I provide and enable the gear. I keep my opinions to myself during sessions unless asked. I also keep a spectrum analyzer patched into the signal path to monitor the outcome... for my own curiosity, haha.

11. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Rheingold has a good reputation for quality cables

Dilatant likes this.
  12. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Purely answering your original question and not questioning motives…

Phil Jones Bass cables. I have one of the speakon cables and posted about it here Phil Jones speaker cables - worth it?

13. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Panasonic Death by Karate 3000. Allegedly Bruce Lee himself soldered a batch of them, perfect for sharp punchy sound.

14. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    AFAIK the only thing that really matters is that the speakon connectors are for-real Neutriks, and not some knock-off. Over in the Mesa Subway thread Andy @agedhorse has often reminded us that the knock-off connectors are prone to mechanical failure.

But I get it, that some of your customers buy into the myth of the copper wire making some tone difference. By all means, keep 'em happy!

Marley's Ghost, Dilatant and Phaidrus like this.
  15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    I use monster cables. The same two monster cables that I've been using for the last 20 years.

If that doesn't make you want to buy monster cables, nothing will.

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Oh, you want speaker cables, my bad.

I use pig hog speaker cables. Ain't failed me yet.

The fattest ones I can find.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    TN WOODMAN and Dilatant like this.
  17. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Divine Noise
    Tsunami
    Lava
    Asterope
    Pig hog
    And finally, buy some speakon connectors, go to home depot, buy a few feet of obscene like 8 gauge wire and figure out how to make it work. I think 10 or 12 is the largest gauge speakon can accept…but if this is for demonstration purposes in a studio and not real life use I’m sure you could creatively engineer some monstrosity with like 2 gauge cable, lol.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    ellipsis and Dilatant like this.
  18. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Mogami cables for everything.
    I have had only 1 failure in 20+ years using Mogami cables, and it was an instrument cable that failed. Life time guarantee too, can’t beat them.

Cracker7, marchone, BlueTalon and 4 others like this.
  19. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a pair of speaker cables that I made from some used 16/2 extension cord and some big-barrel Switchcraft 1/4" plugs. They were made in 1992, and are still used on a regular basis, and they have never needed a repair. I am certain that I could never hear the difference in sound between these cables vs. boutique cables !

dSay, packhowitzer, Ampslut and 2 others like this.
  20. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    What would be funny, since you are letting your clients “hear with their eyes” is get some 2 gauge wire, then splice it with some 16 gauge right where it enters the speakon, so the cable is effectively a very inflexible 16 gauge cable, and watch people have “revelations” about how amazing and transcendent it sounds, lol.