Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Booze, hootch, juice, etc....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, May 18, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    It seems that it's been far too long since the hard stuff has come up, so here's yet another thread polling your favorites (sans poll).

I love a really good scotch. In fact, that reminds me of a really bad joke: I like my scotch like my women...12 years old and all mixed up with coke. :eek: :scowl:
    Of course, I'd never ruin a good scotch like that.

My poor-man's drink, at least when I used to be a soda-drinker, was Captain Morgan spiced rum and coke (not just any rum: it's got to be the Captain). Too many people ruin a good rum n' coke by adding too much rum. Get a tall glass, add lots of ice, pour 2 (two) "gurgles" of rum. That's key: just say "gurgle-gurgle," pour that much, and you're done. Then fill the rest of the way with coke, and you're good.

For the soft stuff, nothing (yes, nothing) beats Guinness.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Glenlivet
    any other Scotch (except JB)
    Crown Royal
    Black Velvet (when I'm poor)
    Black and Tan

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My new thing I'm discovering/exploring is grappa. I bought my first bottle last week after getting a taste of the stuff while on vacation. Interesting stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for a good grappa (brand and/or varietal) to try?

4. mmm 12 year old single malt scotch on the rocks... drool worthy

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Donk, email me on that, I got a spaccone that is up on that stuff.

6. i just ordered myself some absynthe :D :D :D its the propper stuff too, (10mg or thujone/wormwood.. compared the fake stuff u can buy here which is 1.5mg) and thats 70% alc. volume :D makes u hallucenate and feel real good and creative, might get some tight bass lines down lol. Tonight we got a new carton of rum come in called Inner Circle, it retails for $80 AUD and is 75.9% alc. volume :eek: :eek:
    i rkn 3 glasses and u'd feel rather drunk :p

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

7. chips: if you drink to the point of alcohol poisoning you might hallucinate.
    as i understand with Absynthe, it you drink regularly, you build up the thojorn in your blood, which leads to a trip.

great drink, i really enjoyed when i had it, but no hallucinations...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tequila. By far. I love that stuff...what a great flavor.

The best I've ever had was Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Anejo. Good grief that stuff is smooth! Don Julio is a good old standby. I've had their Oro and their Anejo. They are good but I tried them side by side with the Milagro select and it practically made the Don Julio taste like swill. In my current situation I can't afford the REALLY good stuff but Sauza Hornitos Reposado is not bad for a 30 dollar tequila. Kinda spicy but goes down smooth and has pretty good flavor and it's about the cheapest tequila I can find in the store I usually go to that is 100% blue agave, which is the first key to a good tequila. Herradurra has some good offerings as well. THere are all kinds of great tequilas out there but like I said, the best ones are too expensive for me.

brad cook

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've had absynthe a number of times, its tasty stuff but I felt no "effect" beyond getting really, really drunk.

My drink of choice is a nice, smooth, ice cold mead. Hard to find really good mead, I used to know a few people who made it, but that was back when I lived in MA. The store bought stuff I've found down here in MD hasn't been as good.

Being half Italian I'm a bit of a wine snob. I like my wine and take great pleasure trying to match wines with foods. I recently discovered "white merlot" which tastes like a blend between a merlot and a white zin. I'm currently hunting down different makes of this stuff to build up a good frame of reference for what makes a "good" white merlot.

These are drinks I drink just to enjoy. When I want to DRINK I go straight to the Long Island Iced Teas. A friend of mine and I used to go to Ruby Tuesdays on the nights when they had the "buy 1 get 1 for a penny" deal. We'd order 4 each, slam them at the bar, then walk across the street to Friday's to eat :)

10. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Ahhh!!!!! No long island iced teas! I had the super bad experience with them when I was around 17 or 18. Yes, I was too young. Girl troubles plus liquor plus going to see a punk show plus a cigarette for a non-smoker equals dry heaves in my buddy's driveway in the middle of the night, trying to hide and not pass out. If I did, I would have been the victim of the Sharpee attack. :eek:

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have a simillar reaction to White Russians...

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    As far as mixed drinks go I like margarita, cosmopolitan, mojito, amaretto sour etc...

BTW, never been drunk, never want to be drunk.

brad cook

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, yes, yes, what he said. I also like El Cazadores for mixed tequila drinks. It has a bit too much funk for me to straight sip, but it's perfect blended.

Cuervo (believe it or not) does make some good tequila...their Tradicional and De La Familia are excellent. The former is a great deal and the latter is too high priced at $100/bottle, but very tasty. Of course, Cuervo Gold is horrible swill.

Patron is a popular north American bar favorite, and very good, but my Mexican father in law has never heard of it and he loves tequila...odd.

El Jimador is good for the money. I bought some of this after sampling some from a scantily clad 12 year old girl in a El Gigante super market in Tijuana. Very strange experience. Edit: I reread this and it reads a bit sketchy...let me clarify. The girl was handing out tequila shot samples like someone would hand out chicken strips at a Safeway.

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    After Tequila, Bourbon is my favorite. I'll take Bookers, but truth be told, I like all of the real stuff.

Also...Bombay Sapphire Martini please, extra dry, 3 olives.

15. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I can't stand straight liquour, I'm a bit of a weenie in that regard, but something I've found that's quite good is Drambuie. I can ALMOST drink it straight, but the fumes still kinda get to me. It's really good mixed as a sour though. My all time favorite though is Irish Whiskey, in just about anything. Can't drink it straight yet, but I'm working on it. Oh, and Guinness...ohhh guinness :)

16. As much as I like Guinness, there are plenty of stouts that will push Guinness down and call it a woman. IMO of course....

If I'm drinking hard, it's either Scots or Rum...I like Rum! After a night of very hard puking in multiple geographic locations, I can never drink Tequilla again.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    To compare apples to apples, and dry stouts to dry stouts, I think Beamish gives Guiness a run for its money.

As far as the entire stout category goes, Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout crushes all.....even Samuel Smiths :eek:

18. Very good point...

Oh snaps! I am quite partial to Sam's oatmeal stout, as well as Youngs (in nitro can, for special mornings). As for overall stout, I have to go with Old Raspy, even though I can only handle so much at a time.

19. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    ooooooooooo....likker...... :D
    baba...+1 on tradicional...i didn't like tequila a-tall before i tried that. now i likey a lot more. :)
    my normal swill (being on a budget) is JTS Brown 100 proof bourbon. not top drawer...hell, it ain't even mid, but it'll git-r-done.
    as far as high enders, knob creek, woodford reserve, maker's, baker's, booker...all good.
    vodkas...absolut is my sweetie's brand (with fresca), and i can't even deal with a lesser brand. grey goose is fine, esp. with tonic and lime...for something different, blavod is fun. it's black, so the youngsters (legal age, of course) and girlies like it. makes striking mixed drinks.
    can't afford good scotch, so am waiting until i get a product endorsement from glenmorangie....;)
    for a change of pace, navip slivovitz...8 years old, hunnerd proof, plummy and inviting...hey, thousands of ashkenazim during purim can't be wrong, ey? :p
    beer of choice....SAM ADAMS!!!!!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Bombay Sapphire

-Mike