1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BOSS OC-2 synth mod with sound clips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gastric, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hope it's ok to ask, but is there anyone handy with a soldering iron that can install Dazonbass' mods to an OC-2 for me? I'll gladly pay a few bucks. If there's anyone in NYC, even better!

I've got one en route to me right now and I'm not sure if it's the Japanese or Taiwanese version...

2. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    As if TB wasn't awesome enough, I've already got someone willing to help me out.

I'll be sure to post some clips when I get my oc-2 modded.

3. I would have helped out but don't think you want the shipping cost of getting it to Japan.

If you want you can let me know who is doing the mods so he/she can ask me questions directly. The most annoying part was not the soldering, it was getting everything back in the box when the two switches where installed. On that note, make sure you get small switches or there may be problems with space.

Anyone ever stick switches in the battery compartment? I never use batteries and so have always been tempted to put some switches incognito, under the hud.

4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I've reduced my OC-2 mods to hard wiring OCT2 to synth mod and installing a toggle for OCT1. Least amount of switch installation and still a wide variety of usable sounds. For anyone looking to minimize the work necessary as it's a real PITA getting the switches in there due to the cramped space.

This mod is do badass IMO. Just run synth mod, blend a little OC2, put an overdrive and/or chorus after and instant synthy goodness.

5. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    I'm helping dalo out. You can be sure to her from me if I have any questions!

6. cool... hope it goes smoothly :bassist:

7. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    I'm not sure if this applies to both the Japanese and Taiwanese OC-2, but the older OC-2 is designed to work with a 9.6v supply and then has an internal zenner-diode to drop the voltage to ~9v (this is due to older supplies not being regulated).
    Anyway I found this a bit inconvenient, so I modded mine for use with a 9v supply.
    To do so bridge/bypass D3 and R17 (Boss OC-2 Dual Octave Down Guitar Pedal Schematic Diagram).
    This can be done with a blob of solder on the old layout: like this (don't mind the wires, they are from the failed gating-circuit)

Hoping the info will be useful to some :)

8. milothefultz

milothefultz

Nov 29, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I was curious if you could separate this synth mod into two separate "envelope on/off" and "filter on/off" mods, by putting a DPDT in before and after each section? Also, how much room is there in these casings? If I were to get sub-mini toggle switches, do you think there would be room for four switches, each one controlling each octaves' filter and envelope?

Thanks,
    Milo

EDIT: I didn't do my homework, found it earlier in the thread.

9. :D good luck

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'm thinking about doing this mod. Has anyone found a way to get the synth-ed signal to gate the same way the regular OC-2 sound does? I don't really want any noise between notes, or fizzy/crunchy artefacts around notes, if you see what I mean.

Is this possible?

11. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    The regular OC-2 doesn't gate, but by multiplying the signal with the original volume envelope, the pedal ensures no noise gets though, when you are not playing.
    The synth-mod can be gated in two ways.
    1. Turn down the volume of your bass, this will make it gate - but also render the clean-blend useless.
    2. Install a trim-pot, that turns down the volume to the tracking section, thus gating the signal, but with all other features a normally.

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Hmm. Installing a trim pot sounds hard. Unless I'm just going to have it floating around in there...

13. I like the idea of adding a trim pot, however, I am wondering if you would need to be able to bypass it if you wanted to disable the Mod. I am sure this could be done quite easily though.

14. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    I have a small trim-pot mounted on the switch, that turns the synth-mod on/off. Had to put a piece of tape on it to prevent shorts, but apart from that everything fits neatly.

If you don't bypass it when turning off the synth-mod, you'd get terrible tracking/octave-jumping all over the place.

15. things are a little more complicated for me since mine has 4 switches; one for each filter. Sure I could think it through though. Great work Skrogh!

16. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Can you explain this in more detail? I have a simple SPDT switch to route the signal around the filters and to the output to turn on the synth mod. It's not clear how I would apply a simple trimpot or resistor to the input stage. I'm assuming I'd need a different switch to simultaneously switch the trimpot/resistor in/out of the circuit at the same time I'm switching the filters in/out.

Even though I've done the mod and shared a bunch of info I actually have little real knowledge of electronics. :) So help a brother out with some very specific directions.

17. subbed. I'll be bach.

18. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    I have mine wired op a bit differently, than the majority here. (To ensure no bleed-through, and also the square-wave is routed through the filter = massive low-end. Filter is still switchable)
    Right now I'm working on a math assignment for tomorrow, but will get back with schematics and instructions, once I get the time.

19. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    I would like one of these. Just to clarify, it's possible to have the raw synthy sound, but it's still clean and quiet in between notes, not all sloppy and useless like an oscillating fuzz?

If someone has figured it out, I would pay for one, for sure.... Hit me up. I can find a spare oc2 yo donate....

J

20. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    yeah the gate's pretty good. it stops once its muted.
    only thing it there's no more dynamics when filter's bypassed