1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boss Slow Gear SG-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Jul 27, 2008.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
  2. Rare?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Bingo. When I was in college I got a used one as a gift and used it every once and a while in my band at the time. When that band broke up I sold it for I think $25.

I could certainly buy more than a pizza and some beer if I sold it today.:crying:

4. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    I own the behringer copy, the SM200 Slow Motion pedal. Its does what it claims to quite well, but in my experience, it seems to have limited applications.

5. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's more a novelty than a useful effect for bass (IME). I used to combine it with delay to make a noise that sounded like whales humping.

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    is it my imagination or is slow gear included on the boss SE-70, a rack mount unit you can easily find for under $200?

(it's not my imagination: http://www.bossarea.com/other/se70.asp)

you could get one of those and a bitchen footswitch controller for less than an SG-1

just sayin'...

7. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Although the Slow Gear was a cool idea, it was rather useless.
    You're better off with a volume pedal.
    Unless you are to lazy to operate a volume pedal, the Slow Gear would do it for you. But at what cost? :atoz:

Since I don't have a volume pedal (I actually don't know why I never bought one) I use the volume control on my bass.

That looks way cool, you pluck a note, the with the ring finger volume knob open and back closed. All in one smooth movement. :cool:

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    there's also a guyatone version of this pedal: http://www.guyatone.com/Sv2.php

i also imagine the ehx bass micro synth has the volume swell thing covered, too.

there are plenty of options available for a vol-swell effect, so i have no idea why people are willing to spend $450 on the pedal except to have a collector's item. :meh:

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't forget Pigtronix either.

10. Reland

Reland

Aug 4, 2007
    I got a taste of the Attack Delay in my EH Bass Microsynth years ago. Later I replaced my whole board with the Boss GT-6B and now the GT-10B, both of which include a Slow Gear, but I never use it. C'thulhu was correct, a volume pedal does the job better. More controllable, more reliable, more consistent. Luckily the GT-6B and GT-10B also include a volume pedal...

11. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    I'm curious why you think the volume pedal work better than an SG or an SV-2. I want to use one of these as a pedal to get a reverse-delay type sound. Do you think a volume pedal would be better for this application or an SG or one of its clones? Thanks

12. I know this isn't really a new thread but I've got one in a trade recently. It's a pretty cool effect when combined with phaser and delay. It's not very useful so I'll be selling it on the bay pretty soon I think.

I got a Behringer Slow Motion (the clone) recently just to have arround when I want that kind of effects. It's not that great but it's fairly cool. And I'd never have a Behringer pedal on any of my boards :p

I'll be getting a volume pedal soon to do this effect.

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I have the BYOC version and it allows me to play much faster passages than I could with a volume pedal or knob. However, the volume pedal or knob is a lot more expressive. I pretty much stick to the vol knob these days.

14. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The volume pedal vs. Slow Gear/clone argument is analogous to wah vs. envelope filter. Envelope and expression effects can be used for similar applications and they offer very different ways of controlling the same parameter be it filter sweep or volume. The advantage in envelope controlled effects is that they respond to the nuances of your playing whereas expression pedals allow for more ease of use as well as stationary settings.

15. Wicked_Bassist7

Wicked_Bassist7

Oct 31, 2008
    There is a slow gear on the Boss ME-50B, which is pretty fun to mess around with.

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    My experience with the BYOC Lazy Sprocket is that unlike an envelope filter, it does not respond especially well to playing nuances. I can't control it by playing dynamically around the threshold. It works best with a very consistent signal and/or a compressor and tends to sound somewhat mechanical. A volume pedal or knob is much more expressive but is harder to use fast. Try playing 1/4 note swells at 120 bpm with a volume pedal and see how long your leg lasts. It's a cool gadget, I really had a bee in my bonnet about that sound when I bought it but I have 1 tune I wrote around it and hardly use it at all. I'd bet that it works a lot better with guitar.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Quoting an old post, but the Slow Gear is also included on the Boss VF-1, which can also be had for cheap.

18. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm going to try either the Guyatone SV-2 or the BYOC Lazy Sprocket, because I'm looking for a pedal to give me a consistent swell every time for a reverse delay like effect.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021