Bought a cab....and it smells horrible. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CJL, Aug 5, 2017.

1. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    I bought a Schroeder cab of for of Reverb and although it is in mint condition, it smells like smoke....really, really bad. I contacted the seller and he confirmed that he is a smoker and that he smokes in his house where the cab was kept, so it's been in smoke for quite a while, not just a couple of gigs at a honky tonk. It's got the dura tuff liner, not rat fur. Any suggestions for de-funking this cab would be greatly appreciated. I have it airing outside right now. I saw where some people said pull the guts and wash it inside and out, plus replace any internal cabinet liner. To be honest, if that's what it will take then it's not worth it and I would rather return it (he has a 3-day return policy). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    return it. you'll never get that stank completely out

3. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    I'm thinking the same thing...especially not in 3 days. Maybe 3 years...

spaz21387 likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

if you've got a back yard that's sealed off from invaders stealing it, leave it out in the sun for a day

I'm not a smoker, but I can't get my head around returning an item that smells like smoke, LOL.
    at least if it still sounds good

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    sorry but cigarette smoke works it's way in and won't come out. really gross if you're a non-smoker. yuck

6. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    I have had it outside on the back porch for a few hours now and, believe it or not, as it gets hotter it is smelling worse....like the cabinet lit up a fresh cig on my back porch and is just waiting for me to bring it a beer to go along with it.

Ziemniak, 40Hz, tzohn and 16 others like this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get it into the sun if you can, the sun will bake out that smell & it will definitely get worse before it gets better.

8. What is it covered with? If rat fur, you'll probably need to recover it. Tolex can be washed, first with mineral spirits to remove the tar residue, followed by hot, soapy water. If the grill is cloth, remove it and wash or replace. Fibre fill damping material inside can be replaced too. All these things retain stench. The internal wood cabinet can be wiped down with bleach and water.

All in all, it sounds like a lot of work.

Maureen M, C_Becker and cjlembo like this.
  9. CJL

CJL Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dallas
    It's covered with dura tec....and that's definitely more work than I am willing to put into this cab. It was bought as a backup...don't really need it. Since the buyer accepts returns I just requested a return and refund.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I know this is over and the OP has decided to return it, but just a question for future reference:

If one was willing to put in the work, would a couple of fresh coats of duratex fix the problem? I guess the speaker itself would still smell as well as inside if it's ported.

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Return it.
    It would be a lot of work to clean it up.

I was given a nice vintage Traynor cab years ago because it smelled of cat pee. Man, it stunk. I sanded out the inside, and soaked it in some pretty powerful cat pee remover (I volunteer at an SPCA so have access to some of the good stuff).
    Kept it outside in the sun in between washes. Even then it took a month or so before it was bearable. Smoke is worse IMO.

cjlembo likes this.
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Fabreeze? :)

13. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    spill some beer on it and maybe some chicken wing and mozzarella stick vomit and it will be a true rock and roll cab.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ugh! Smokers! Nasty habit.

Sorry............carry on!

15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Before putting it outdoors, you need to wash the nicotine off of the outside of the cab. I tried repainting the inside of a house that had been smoked in without washing the walls and the nicotine would bleed through the paint. On that type of cab covering, Windex would work. Also Fabreeze helps too.

spaz21387 and cjlembo like this.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The odors get into the wood, the insulation, the speaker cone pulp, pretty much everything. Even with time, it's hard (or even impossible) to get the smell out.

Ulf Buck, bdplaid, Holdsg and 4 others like this.
  17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    A lot of that is the tars from incomplete combustion. (that's why it smokes rather than burns with flames)

HolmeBass, Dug2 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  18. swafran

swafran

Nov 6, 2008
    Paris, France
    Bring it to rehearsal. You only have a problem if you can smell it above your drummer's stank.

allenhumble, Frank77, Stumbo and 3 others like this.
  19. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Andy, does tobacco smoke damage audio electronics?

I'll guess it at least attracts dust. Might be a bit conductive too. Maybe acidic or something. I've only seen it myself in warranty disclaimers.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021