1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bow Balance

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Violen, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I looked in the Newbie links and i didnt see a thread devoted to bow balance.

I realize there are very few ways to change the balance of a bow, mostly with lead tape or possibly changing the grip material.

What are some good insights to where a bow should really be weighted for good agile playing?

I play mainly Jazz but i am keeping up on my classical studies and will be in the market for a new bow soon.

Any Pointers? What is the "rule of thumb" for balance?

2. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    There is a lot of good stuff about bows in a post just a couple down:
    "how bows work. help me understand? "
    If I was better with links and stuff, I would make that happen. I strongly suggest checking it out though, especially if you are in the market for a bow. Anyway, "rule of thumb" for balance: A French bow is typically balanced between 8-9” from the balance point, to the end of the WOOD, (NOT the button) of a bow. A German bow, between 7 ½-8 1/2” (end of wood again) You can find your balance point by balancing the bow on your finger, and measuring from that point to the end of the wood. Be careful, don’t drop it.

Other things, like weight, wood selection, hair selection and camber are mentioned there. Try playing as many as you can find in and below your price range, (sometimes you get lucky/surprised) and eventually you will find one that you love. A teacher, or colleague who plays a lot with a bow are always good people to bring along to have a second opinion and a second set of ears.

Best of luck, and happy shopping!