1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bowing help, please..

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    See attached, any other suggestions / corrections, please?

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Are you in Australia? Your up-bow symbols are upside down.

3. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Think I would play the last two notes of bar 1 (e g) with up and down and then continue with alternate bowing. So not doing two ups and downs.

4. My recollection is -

Start on a down bow and slur the afterbeat in the same bow. Or you could separate the two for clarity by splitting the down movement slightly with a small accent This is not a retaken down bow, just a slight split in the down direction for clarity of articulation.

The next quarter note is up bow. Repeat the pattern and continue down, up (as it comes) through the eighth notes. Play the sixteenth notes each time with down bow followed by two ups and finish on an up.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    ILIA, Les Fret and bassmastan like this.
  5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I think the way you have it is just fine.

bassmastan likes this.
  6. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    You can avoid the double down bows by breaking those 16th not slurs and doing it by 2.
    So you would get down up down up, making it a little nicer.

I always try to avoid double downs unless it is portato or a retake. I like double ups more, but in the heat of battle you can never know.

Wish you would fill out some of your profile!

7. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks both, and yes, I'll fix the profile, I've been meaning to do that for a while.
    As for the double downs, it is to do with landing on the down bow on the first beat (too much Simandl?) but I'll try breaking those 16th as you suggest, bassmastan.

8. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Read L. Mozart's treatise on the fundamental principles of violin playing. And if you're still hungry for more read Starker's essay on the organized method of string playing.

9. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Give it a try, I do agree that on the big beats it is safe to play down bows. Try this bowing:

Measure 2, Down (rest) down up (slur 2) down up-up down up|

Measure 3, down up down up down up down (slur 2) up {slur 2}|

Doing the double up in the 2nd measure keeps the pattern of slurring the two sixteenths together

10. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Federighi likes this.
  11. ILIA

ILIA

Jan 27, 2006
    +1