1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brad Houser?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yellofury, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Did he primarily play fretless or fretted?

When he played "What I Am" it sounded and looked like a fretless Jazz Bass. But there are some shows he plays what looks like a fretted Warwick

2. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    In the vid its a 5 string fretless jazz although maybe not a fender.

When I knew him here in Seattle he was really big on the Reverend basses. The first one he got that he showed me was fretted. IIRC it was the late 90's.

3. Hey thanks!
    I just wanted to know if my ears were playing tricks on me
    I knew Reverend had the Brad Houser 5s but they looked like they were all fretted
    I saw a video of them in 2006 and it almost looked like he was playing a fretless 5 string Roscoe?:

I like how he is multi talented
    he plays the sax too
    makes me want to dust off my own sax

4. That's indeed a Roscoe in the video. :)

It's a custom semi-hollow that we made exactly ONE of for Brad back in the 90's, very cool piece, but no plans for it to become a production model right now.

5. well it looks absolutely sick!!
    You guys do great work!!

6. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'm a big fan of BH! he was very influential in me when i started playing. i met him at NAMM a few years ago: he was super cool! he started out letting me geek out and segued into a a legit conversation.

saw him a few months ago and he was rocking a lakland hollowbody and an eub (don't recall the model) through an ashdown rig.

Reverend Rumblefish gave him a sig bass. His Roscoe is beautiful! is it fretless?

i remember bp mag named him as one of the top bassists to watch, then les claypool grabbed half of critters buggin (mike dillon and skerik), and eddie brickell kind of faded away.

7. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Brad's a great guy. Really friendly, and cool to talk to.

I used to run into him all the time at Bass Emporium. I think he's been playing Laklands a lot more lately. Last time I saw him, he brought in a really nice (but well-worn) Sherwood green 55-94 with a white pickguard and rosewood fingerboard. He was thinking of selling it, but I didn't have the coin at the time... :meh:

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I remember bumping into Brad at Bass NW the same day one of his new Reverends arrived. Musta been around '99.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  10. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree, I totally dig the way that interview was done. It's a very cool online-magazine!

12. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    thanks, guys. the bass in the new bohemians video, (mtv) was a fender body with a zolla neck, ken smith bridge and pickups. these days i'm playing the lakland hollowbody alot, a highly modified pino palladino p bass, (bartolini MM pu by bridge, old MM bridge string-thru, diMarzio preamp) new reverend mercalli 5, and the roscoe 5. the new reverend is awesome, really sweet, best ever. i put hipshot ultralight tuners on it, made a huge difference.