Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brad Smith(Blind Melon)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    the bassist from blind melon IMO opinion was one of the best bassists of the 90's era. He was sort of the back ground guy in the band but actually wrote alot of the band's songs including their hit "no rain" which was both a curse to the band but was also the reason for BM's 15 min. Any Brad Smith fans around here?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    count me in. huge brad smith fan. he alwasy seemed to find away around rogers and chris. he had some great stuff.

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Excellent bass player and song writer. I heard he's gone back to guitar, but I hope that's not true.

4. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    i have his 2002 solo album. he plays all the instruments on most of the tracks with the exception of a few songs where glen graham(former BM drummer) plays the drums. Its called Abandon Jalopy. From what i hear nowadays he produces albums but im not sure.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that BM disc lived in my player for about 3 years straight... couldn't stop listening to it. I'm still pissed at Shannon, what a selfish asshat.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was a huge fan of his playing on the first album. It was one of the CD's that remained in my CD changer for some time.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Melon is one of those bands that gains more appreciation over time. Their first cd and "Soup" were excellent CDs (many actually think "Soup" was their best) and Brad Smith sounds great on both. Snag some bootlegs of their shows if you can.

To think what could have been.... :(

8. Cool i thought i was the only Blind Melon Fan. I especially like the lines on Soak the Sin, Tones of home, and Deserted

...Seed to a tree is fun too! :bassist:

9. I thought of that too :(

10. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Yeah Seed to a tree is great. They are one of my favorite bands from the early 90s. Yet they are so misrated by people