1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new Highway One P bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RIjake, Mar 12, 2008.

1. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    Picked up my new baby today:hyper:
    DSCF3395.
    DSCF3394.

First thing I did after I got home from playing with my guitarist was slap on the tortoise pickguard that was waiting on my doorstep! I got a set of Chromes that'll be going on soon to.
    Absolutely love it. I can't wait to play it with the band.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice buy! :D

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    awesome bass. I miss mine dearly.. That thing had tone for days.. And I used Chromes :)

Here is a little medley I made for my website.. So never mind that just enjoy the P goody-ness I played it direct to PC in 5 styles I think and it just fits in all of them..

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i love sunburst =]

i have a highway 1 jazz that matches that

5. Sweet. A P-Bass with Chromes is a great combo.

6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nice move switching to the tort p/g. That really gives it that vintage Fender look. And yes, a P needs flats! Congrats.

7. Congrats!

HW1 + Chromes is a killer combo. HereĀ“s mine:

HW1.

8. Ditto, I love mine too, however, I ended up dropping a set of Villex pups into it, and now, it's a cracker.

9. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Enjoy that baby... i know i love my H1 Jazz!!! It never fails!!!

10. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    The H1 jazz that I picked up last year is hands down the nicest, best playing instrument I've owned... I'm GASing for a matching P, myself...

Good buy, man. Good buy.

11. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    Thanks for the kind words. I feel this bass is probably the best buy out there right now. $599 at GC hmph

12. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Im seriously thinkin bout one of these. This post dont help me at all. Awesome bass though. Congrats.

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    is a cracker a good thing i suppose? how much are villex pickups....tell me more!

14. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes I just bought a set of upgraded HW 1's a wine red jazz used and a new burst P for $400.00 each (weird circumstances) I love the P but hate burst finishes lol! But I do love the sound of that bad boy.

Maybe I will put flats on her, what kinda tone will it give me???

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    if you look at my post there is a stock highway one video with Daddario Chromes on it recorded direct to PC no preamp nothing.. :)

you guys suck hahaha you got me gassing for one now.. I knew I should of never sold that one.. :( time to start saving my pennies.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    lovely Bass. I have always loved the HW series.
    I own a HW1 Jazz in Red and it has a lovely neck on it. second best Jazz neck i have ever played.
    Last Nov i got a HW-One P. fantastic sounding Bass and apart form not getting on with the neck i loved it. I really like the flat finish on these Bass's. In fact it was the flat black finish that pushed me to getting one.
    I also put a tort on it and it changed the look for the better IMO.

I had to sell it recently and i do miss it.

227188395_y7zGH-O.

227188461_wFUGV-O.

I did a demo a few years ago with my HW1 Jazz with TI flats on and the engineer said it was the easiest tone he had worked with. It sat so well in the mix we almost had the EQ flat.

17. Yes mate, here in the UK, a cracker is a good thing. The Villex pickups aren't cheap, but provide an active type of tone shape with a passive system, in other words, no batteries required, but clean, clear highs and big powerful bottom end, I can't recommended them highly enough.

One thing I would say though, as I did in a review of the Villex jazz pups on here, I couldn't dial in a traditional jazz type bark with them, it's more of a modern twist on the original sound, I'd maybe go for something like Fralins or Wizard pickups from here in the UK for that, but the Villex pickups take a standard bass to another level tonaly.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Congratulations on a very cool bass!

The tort guard makes it look lovely, and chromes are a very good choice.

19. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    My Hway one looks exactly like that one. Love the sunburst w/tort look. I got mine for $500 at GC.

20. Where did you get the PG and what brand? Thanks