Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

brass nut question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amspoon, Jul 8, 2004.

1. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    :help: I have recently put on a set of 36' jazz flats on my fodera.I love the sound so far but I notice the large B string along with the extended B peg head on my bass pulls the brass nut out of position.Here is my question:should I glue the brass nut in the slot ? will this somehow harm the sound or something?Does anybody know why the nut isn't glued.I have 2 basses an R and a Fodera and both came w/the nut unglued. thanks for your time

2. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    thanks a lot for the reply..when I need to,how will I remove the nut?

3. They probably just did not glue it correct at the factory. Bassart1 is right, just a few drops of super glue will be fine. Use the thick type if you can instead off the real thin watery stuff.
    To remove nuts: Take off strings. Using a small piece of wood and a small hammer, tap the wood against the nut gently on all sides and it should break free. just go slow and take your time, don't rush it!
    When I first started to do guitar repair work 22 years ago, I did this but hit it way to hard and a small chunk of the neck broke off!! OUCH!! :crying:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

4. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    Thanks to both of you for your help..Sam :hyper: