brass nut question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amspoon, Jul 8, 2004.

1. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    :help: I have recently put on a set of 36' jazz flats on my fodera.I love the sound so far but I notice the large B string along with the extended B peg head on my bass pulls the brass nut out of position.Here is my question:should I glue the brass nut in the slot ? will this somehow harm the sound or something?Does anybody know why the nut isn't glued.I have 2 basses an R and a Fodera and both came w/the nut unglued. thanks for your time

2. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    thanks a lot for the reply..when I need to,how will I remove the nut?

3. They probably just did not glue it correct at the factory. Bassart1 is right, just a few drops of super glue will be fine. Use the thick type if you can instead off the real thin watery stuff.
    To remove nuts: Take off strings. Using a small piece of wood and a small hammer, tap the wood against the nut gently on all sides and it should break free. just go slow and take your time, don't rush it!
    When I first started to do guitar repair work 22 years ago, I did this but hit it way to hard and a small chunk of the neck broke off!! OUCH!! :crying:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

4. amspoon

amspoon

Oct 6, 2003
    Thanks to both of you for your help..Sam :hyper: