Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brice Douglas 5 string jazz...specs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xolin, Mar 8, 2004.

1. I need to know the specs of this bass that i ordered. It may take a while to get here. So, I was thinking of getting some 59js to go in, but i need to know if long or short ones will do. Plus what bart preamp would be suitable (jretro, ntbt, etc?). I'll first see whether I like it stock without pre, but its always good to know.

Thanks

2. It might just be me, but shouldn't you find the specs BEFORE you buy a bass? Seriously, though, they have most of the specs on the webpage.

3. You'd think so ;) . Nah, these specs really hold little importance to me. I am completely satisfied with having the bass itself as it is. If I can't put in the bart pups or the jretro, I'm fine with it, it doesn't affect the music I make. These are cheap adjustments to give more tonal variety though, with the relatively small cost of this bass, I really have little need to mod it. Also, if the barts dont fit, you can always make them fit :p

4. Oh, I dont know the relationship between width of neck, string spacing and the actual pickup size. This spacing seems to fitin either the long or small bart Js but its a small difference. Whatever, I'll just use a ruler when i get the bass, I was just going to buy the barts before the bass came in.

Thanks, though, and I'll do more research next time :cool:

Colin

5. Anyway, to clarify the question, would I need the 57J's (usually for american standard) or the 59J's (for most others)?

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but I have a Brice Douglas 5 jazz, and right after getting it I installed Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5's in it, both were the NECK sized pickup. They fit the cavities perfectly, but the pole pieces didn't line up with the strings, unfortunately. If you check out the dimarzio web site, you'll have the exact dimensions you are seeking.

7. One of the ultra jazz's has a 69mm string spacing and one has a 72mm one (just like the barts), which one did you get so I know which not to get :)

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The brice douglas V standard pickups are both (neck and bridge) 3.75" long but .75" wide. I imagine you'd want to use the short barts if you're going to replace. Before you replace you might want to consider the series mod on this bass. The standard pickups wired in series are VERY HOT. I did this mod and loved the very BIG tone I got from it (think cross between P and MM). In short...the standard pickups are decent. Good luck.
    -Bazz-

9. Hmm...well I'm really bad with this tech stuff, so you'd have to give me some direction on this one. And although between P and MM sounds good, I still really want that nice jazz bass sound (my Brice passive 6er right now could use a bit more of that MM sound, though). But I actually forgot about the series setup. So some link or info on how its done would be cool.
    So here are my doable upgrades, then (note: used is fine by me):

-Bartolini (59j-L and 59j-NL1 pair Pics ) pickups ($120?)
    -Bart J-retro (250<?)
    -Series mod
    -maybe new bridge
    -insert here...

well...hmmmsome of this will have to wait I guess, cuz the J retro is a bit over my limit price wise...ah well, new pups are fine for now.

Thanks a lot!

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It weighs 14 pounds. Good luck.

11. Lol, thats the weight with the box, apparently Swamp Ash is lighter than other ash and some say this bass is about 8lbs. I've played heavier ones at buddy's house. My six string is only like 7-8lbs...its soooo light.

THanks for the concern though, if its heavy...I;ll get a better strap!

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Xiolin,
    The Brice Douglas Swamp ash model is 10+ lbs. Believe me....it's a HEAVY bass.

-Bazz-

13. Ha...its alright, I'll deal. You did the series mod, right? I want to do that prob with a push pull knob or a switch, where would I put the switch though?

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I hard wired it. I've since modded it further by adding a Kent Armstrong MM humbucker at the bridge and combining the Js together forming one big-ole humbucker pickup in the bathtub neck route...covering it with a new pickguard omitting the neck pickup so it looks like it just has one MM pickup in it.

Check out that link...I think there are detailed descriptions of how and where to put the switch. Hardwiring it only gives you the Series option (no more regular Jazz tones) so if you don't want to do that there are instructions in that thread regarding pushpull pots and switches I believe. Good luck...the Brice Douglas V is by far the best value I've come across. It might not be active and it might have typical overseas setup flaws but for $300.00 you get an incredibly solid built bass with great wood.
    -Bazz-

15. Thanks they had links to some other threads with diagrams n stuff. Cool, sounds like fun! But i'll have to buy a solder iron and some soft solder...

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's a bump, i just ordered my Ash 5 yesterday and it should be here by the 16th

17. you'll prob get it before me here in Canada with the stupid Customs.