1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bridge is not flat on body anymore, why?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Aeolian, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Aeolian

Aeolian

Jun 28, 2018
    I have a fender jazz bass and I noticed that there was a lot of air under the front of the bridge, not much contact with the body. I checked if the body was flat and it wasnt. Maby overtightened bridge screws?..

Anyway, I took a block and sanded the body flatter to get a better fit. I felt like a bad idea to do this to a 2 year old fender but I wanted a better fit so I did it.

Why has this happened? And how critical is it to have a flat surface/full contact when it comes to tone and sustain?

I didnt get it as flat as I wanted because i didnt want to sand outside of the bridge and scratch the finish.

Any better ideas how to do this better? Or should i just leave it alone?

2. Hmmm, might want to ask this question in one of the Bass Guitar (BG) sections???

From a double bass (and most other acoustic instruments) standpoint, the more complete the contact between the top of the instrument and the bottom of the bridge feet, the better the sound.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You might want to re post this on the Electric bass side of Talkbass You're in the Double bass forums. Welcome to Talkbass.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Interesting. I've never heard of this problem. I suppose it's out of warranty. Sanding only under the bridge indeed would be nearly impossible. I'd take off the bridge, make sure the bottom is clean, wrap the body with a single layer of cling wrap, then spread thick epoxy paste over the bridge area and screw the bridge back down, but not very tight. You can clean up the splooge with cotton pads and denatured alcohol. When it's hard, take the bridge back off and remove the cling wrap. Voila!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    misterbadger and Povl Carstensen like this.
  5. Aeolian

Aeolian

Jun 28, 2018
    Sorry! Did not notice tjat it was DB. Thanks for the input!