1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bridge material

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Mar 17, 2018.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Anyone find a bridge change make any real difference in tone? I have my own opinion but would like to see what others have to say. I prefer steel, brass, alloys ( in that order ). Anyone change to a more expensive bridge only to go back. I have had one bridge sound good on one bass and not on another. I love Schaller 3D roller bridges but not always on the same bass. Overall I think I like the tone of steel just a hair better compared to brass but by a short margin. I can hear a slight difference ( mostly do my own recording and writing via my Mac and Focusrite so I can hear every little noise through the headphones ) in a band setting no one could tell.

BurnOut likes this.
  2. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I was going to add that I agree with what Bruce said some time ago “if the bridge and body are made well and rigid the difference is negligible” that’s not exactly how he worded it but sums it up. I agree but like to hear others results.

3. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    This was a thing on a Joe Nerve post. He was talking about changing the bridge and everything else on his Talman bass. Most people were of the mind that a bridge swap wasn't gonna change things much.
    Mostly I just like the look of a big heavy bridge. I have a thing for beautifully machined parts though.

saabfender and stuntbass77 like this.
  4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I can appreciate a pretty bridge :)

saabfender and BurnOut like this.
  5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I think Bruce Johnson’s bridge design is a real improvement.

BurnOut likes this.
  6. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Pics or it didn't happen, actually I'm just being to lazy to Google it myself.

saabfender likes this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hardly worth pursuing IMO. Any differences (assuming there are any) are so minute as to not be worth the effort or expense unless the brige you've already got is defective or of incredibly inferior quality. But you'd usually need to buy one of those $89 kit guitars or basses through AliBaba to find a bridge like that.

8. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If you can slide the saddles (looking at you, Fender), those bridges come off my guitars. I'm not going to argue sound or whatnot but I simply hate the way that feels. Always have.

stuntbass77 and BurnOut like this.
  9. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    Switch from a fender bent bridge to a hipshot was a great upgrade.

stuntbass77, BurnOut and saabfender like this.
  10. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    This was on my new to me P, it was one of the reasons I picked it over others. That and the sweet Barts on it, well mostly the Barts, but I do like the bridge. WP_20180114_014_kindlephoto-28998396.jpg

stuntbass77 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021