Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bridge problem? not sure

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, May 15, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    on my jazz, i just kindof noticed that the part that you can levitate up and down seems like its really... up. and on most jazz basses ive seen, theyre usually alot more... down. My bass used to be more down, and now theyre really leitateing way to far up from the pickups at maximum heighth. also, my action is still low. i dont quite understand how this is... possible. I just sent it in to a luthier to set it up, and it comes in with a strait neck, and a filed nut and everything seemd fine except that. anytips on how to bring the strings closer to the pickups?
    thanx

2. You can take a screw driver and raise the pickups. Make sure they do not touch the strings when you play. They can get in the way if you raise them too much!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    my pickups are up all the way... sometimes the screws come off cuz theyre so loose and then i have to screw them back in. i tried getting longer screws, but i couldnt find any. thanx for the suggestion though...

4. Lower the saddles on the bridge to lower the strings, if they buzz then you have lowered them too much!

That's how to set your action.

Zanyman42788, you're very new to setup aren't you? Still learning what order these thingare done in?

Check these out, I think most of your questions will be answered!

Bass Setup Manuals

[​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

mrgearead's site has the actual height suggested for Fender Basses

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    I do set up my own basses... but i cant figure it out on this bass. Cuz my action is very very low and my pickups are all the way up and my nut is slotted properly. the saddles just look very high compared to other basses. when i got it... the action was also low and the saddles were lower, i gave it to a store to setup my bass with a new nut, cuz the old one was cut WAY to deep, and it comes back with a nut that is what i am hopeing is a properly slotted nut (mostly because the guy works for yamahas custom shop) and the saddles look... very high, and its very hard to get the strings in. thanx though. ill try and see if i can take pictures of it so you see what saying.
    thanx

6. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    ok i fixed it
    i just had to tighten the neck to the body. the screws wernt in as far as they needed to be, and now i can put the saddles back fine to where they need to be. thanx for the suggestions though :)

7. If that technician didn't completely tighten down your neck, then he didn't give the bass a setup as he should have with a new nut.

To put it bluntly - He's a blithering idiot :bag:

Fire him and REALLY learn to do setups for yourself. Your post is evidence enough that you aren't well versed in ALL aspects of your instrument. Just changing strings and setting intonation isn't all there is. Neck angle and it's relation to proper string height is something everyone needs to learn.

8. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    i agree, but i mean, my neck is strait.. i can do a pretty good truss rod job... i mean, just because i ask alot of questions dosnt mean im a newbie or anything, not that im being defensive or anything, but just to get a few things strait... im not exactly a begginer... but i mean the screws looked like they were tight, i think it was a luck thing that made want to screw it in tighter to see what would happen. I mean, i dont know why it was loose in the first place... but yeah, i agree intonation and changeing strings isnt all there is.

9. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Do you know about changeing the nut by yourself? I'm going to change the nut on my MIJ Fender Jazz, but I'd like to know if it's easy to do by myself... I don't like to give my bass to other people if it isn't absolutely necessary... I like to do the set-ups etc myself. This thing is just a bit harder to do, or is it?

10. PM Hambone, he is the expert when it come to questions like this FaBu- Hambone rocks as a luthier!

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Thnx! :bassist: