1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bridge thickness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Mike Saint, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Mike Saint

Mike Saint

May 20, 2017
    Dislaimer: I am not a luthier. (thought the prior post about adjustable bridges using this disclaimer was pretty neat, so I stole it!) :)

My question is about upright basses and has to do with the thickness of the bridge at the top. On a used Bulgarian flat back that I purchased the top of the bridge is so thick that I can't get my bridge mute to sit on it effectively.

Thoughts, questions and opinions, please.

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    So start by thinning the bridge so your bridge mute will sit on it effectively!

I would probably use a block plane to do this neatly. Some luthiers might use a belt sander. Not sure what a non-luthier might use :)

You might even consider visiting your luthier ... it’s a quick job. if you don’t have one, maybe now’s the time to introduce yourself and make a new friend!

Mike Saint likes this.
  3. Mike Saint

Mike Saint

May 20, 2017

I do have a belt sander and a good block plane. I was just wandering how it might affect the sound of the bass.
    I play pizzicato (bluegrass, although I have played jazz, orchestral, country and western and a lot of rock) but this bass has a great sound, great bottom end, great tone and it is loud.

4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Hard to generalize as every bass is different. One way to find out!

Most luthiers i think would aim for a bridge crown not more than 6-7mm

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I don’t go below 5mm.
    A year or so ago, a bass teacher brought me some mutes that we’re too narrow to fit on his bridge and that wouldn’t fit on mine either. IIRC, the opening was closer to 4mm. I put some 80 grit on a stick and opened them up.

6. Mike Saint

Mike Saint

May 20, 2017
    Thank your for your comments. Very helpful. I just now notice that the crown on the bridge (measured at about 5mm and the mute is about 7mm but narrows to a v. But the crown, I just noticed, was only narrowed at the top of the crown and only the top half inch has been narrowed. Someone took a blank bridge and only narrowed the top 1/2! No wonder the mute doesn't fit. Duh! I had already noticed that the feet were not fully fitted to the lid, as well. I have some work to do!

Matthew Tucker likes this.