1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken Jack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elihu, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Elihu

Elihu

Oct 28, 2008
    So i was at my Friday gig talking to the drummer and right before the first song my Stingray slips off the strap and hits the floor. Such a squealing i've never heard. After plugging it back in and checking the battery it would only give me a weak signal-like one half the volume of normal. I think it hit the carpeted stage right where the cable plugs in. The keyboard player thinks my jack needs to be fixed-he says i've lost the ground. Do y'all think he is right?:(

2. i say get some strap locks and it wouldnt have happened

3. Depending on the type of jack you have on the bass, you would likely be looking at a trip to RadioShack and a couple of bucks to replace the jack, provided that you have basic soldering skills, and an iron and solder handy.

4. Elihu

Elihu

Oct 28, 2008
    you know, i've done it before with speakers in my old Fender guitar amps, but never with anything smaller. Don't you need special solder and a soldering pen or something?

5. 60/40 Rosin core solder and a 30 watt iron will do the job.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    And don't forget the straplocks.;)

7. Elihu

Elihu

Oct 28, 2008
    My problem was that after plugging in the jack position gave the bass three sounds-normal, weak and an electronic squeal. So i took it all apart to see if i could tell what was wrong. After removing the jack plate i had to take off the 4 knobs (volume and EQ) and that plate. After getting in there and some careful manipulation i could not see a loose or disconnected wire among the 4 wires attached to the jack. Resigned, i put it all back together and started planning a trip to the tech. I plugged it in once more and it worked! Maybe the impact pushed the jack assembly to where it was shorting out and i moved it back? Anyway i'm one happy bassplayer. Then i immediately went to the Ernie Ball website and ordered some nickle straplocks. :smug: