1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Broken tuners... what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by faust23, Apr 10, 2010.

1. the split post on my deans A just halved...what should i replace my machines with:confused:

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Could you please explain that a different way? Can't quite understand what you're trying to say.

3. ok, the split part of the string post on my tuning machine, where your rest the ladder part of the string to tune, half of the split post snapped off while i was tuning, what machines should i replace my apparantly cheap chinese machines with, thes a sealed machines not elephant ears

4. please help :(

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I had this exact same thing happen to me the other day. Don't go with grover. Ping seems to be holding up though I think they're made by the same company.

6. how do you know if grovers are grovers? the machines on my dean were supposed to be grovers but they say made in china, either way, im dissapointed, any other machine recommendations, just for variety?

7. lol,not that anyone is helpingme/reading this, but i put a tuning machine from my ovation on it and yuned it up, and the same thing happened! and my string broke :/, so im in need of a set of gold tuners(reccomendation?) and a set of black tuners(5 string, 3 bass side)(recommendations besides ping?) any help or comment at all would be apreciated

8. correction, both sets of machines are korean made, are grovers made in korea? or am i just misinformed

9. If they are grover, they will have grover written on them.

[​IMG]

10. where you from faust23?

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sperzel locking tuners.

12. Hi.

^This. Knowing Your location in a case like this will help a lot, especially with the "where to get 'em from?".

I'd probably buy Schallers or Gotohs from Thomann. But then again, I'm from Europe.

It usually pays to support Your local music shop as well, they can usually match the on-line prices.

Regards
    Sam

13. so iv'e heard ping,schaller,gotoh, and my personal favourite without ever really experiencing them, sperzel, pros and cons at all?

14. its down to sperzel,gotoh and schaller, which do i buy? im a fan of the locking mechanism on sperzels but im not a fan of the 12.1 ratio? opinions please

15. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sperzels are extremely well machined gears, but if you like taking longer to tune up, a higher ratio gear may be your choice.

16. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    yeah they say grover on them. Which furthers my disdain for Korean junk.

17. Gotohs are good machines. Fender uses them on their guitars. They even have custom shop stuff with gotoh tuners set up on them. Check stewmac for tuners and check the peghole size. all three are great machines but it may come down to peghole size. you can't go wrong with any of the three tuning brands

18. yea :(, when i played guitar i swore by grovers, anyway, whats the peghole size of grovers? cuz thats them

19. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    When I had the same problem I switched to a Warwick set. My bass is nothing like a Warwick but they work a dream. Proper German set too. Put me back about £45 ish... Worth it.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Go with the Sperzels. You won't regret it.