Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brubaker on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Interesting. Anybody here want to buy a $8000 bass from a guy with 2 whopping feedbacks?:rolleyes:

Let us know what the "seller's" response is (if any).

You might want to give the bidder he has a heads-up email also.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think hes scammin. He doesnt even show any REAL pics, just catalog ones.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He said in his reply that he has the bass pictured and that it has the removable preamp.

Could just be a mistake I guess.

I replied that there are three basses with modules and this isn't one of them. Also that the bass pictured belongs to someone else. And that it was NAMM 2003, not 2002 when Kevin debuted the Spalted Xtremes.

5. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

This line pisses me off...

"Since on Friday August 29th, at

approximately 2 AM, Brubaker Guitars Inc.

was engulfed by flames and completely burned

to the ground, this instrument became a rare

collectors item"

Whoever it is, trying to capitalize on the fire is really lame. Really lame.

Maybe he can offer up the serial number for verification.

6. I would have a hard time buying a custom bass like that over ebay anyhow. why take the chance when I could just go directly to brubaker and have them make me one to my specs. I figure if you are looking at things like that money probably is not a huge issue. it is questionable how legit it is because of the way it is done, especially since there are not "real" picures of the thing.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yup. :spit:

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My sentiments exactly. It's not like he's not going to build again.

I talked to Kevin today, the auctioner actually does have a Brubaker that he picked up this year at Summer NAMM. Why he's saying it's the bass pictured is a mystery, it can't be (I talked to the actual owner again today). Saying that it has the removable preamp module is another mystery.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's the bass with the actual (and current) owner, Preach.

[​IMG]

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A few months ago I saw Preach at Atomic playing that same bass. I asked him if he was Brad Johnson (because you have a very similar bass, of course)!

Preach was playing through a Mesa tube rig. Great player, great tone; I enjoyed listening to him.

11. that bass is sweet, where can you get one of those??

12. nevermind i figured it out. :oops:

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I sent this to all bidders:

"I emailed the seller a few days ago, the bass pictured is not the bass in the auction. So far he hasn't mentioned this in his auction. The bass pictured belongs to a friend of mine here in Maryland. In addition, I own the Spalted Xtreme singlecut with the removable preamp.

The bass he is auctioning does not have the removable preamp. This auction is misleading. I told the seller all of this and he's making no attempt to clear things up. If you want the bass pictured, it's not for sale.

Go to the last page of the gallery on the Brubaker website (www.brubakerguitars.com) and you'll see the bass and it's original and current owner, Preach.

Just a heads up.

Brad Johnson"

Didn't see where I could report this to eBay, they don't make it too obvious I guess.

14. :bassist: Finally!!! I've held this bass in my very own hands :O)
    I've been dealing with this seller for about 2 years,and I've bought a lot of good stuff from him. The guy might be not too professional and knowlegeable, but definitely honest and reliable.

1. The bass is brand new, never used or played.
    2. Slightly different from the bass on the picture, which the seller took from the manufacturer's website, but still pretty close to it by looks.
    3. Indeed it doesn't have a removable preamp.
    4. Perfect action and sound.
    5 Original hardcase included.

Now, if i may, few words about the seller himself.
    Very honest and decent guy, cares a lot about his clients and about his reputation, regrets very much about this misunderstanding. The guy knows a lot about pro audio stuff, but knows very little about both: playing bass and selling basses. I guess, thats why he didn't see much difference between his bass and the one on the picture :O))))))

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you think we will put that much money on a bass with such crappy pictures?
    yeah right, we don't know anything about buying basses :rolleyes:

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

EDIT(jt): i'm an idiot. i apologize for my lack of reading comprehension skills. sorry.

17. :bassist: Pay more attention to details :meh: :spit: :bawl:

not just e-mail addres, but generally all info (e-mail, legal and normal huma names, mailing address and so on) are absolutely different from seller's info. and one more thing. I can expose my ID and my pics with my basses, and you can easily ask a seller for his ID and his pic with this particular bass. I guess by his yesterday's looks, he was so upset, he'll do that to cleas the matter.

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

JT- He is the highest bidder on it. Not the seller.

19. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I got to say even if the Seller did make a mistake in the description or to quote ZDAAS "The guy knows a lot about pro audio stuff, but knows very little about both: playing bass and selling basses." Anybody with 2 {or even 1} Eyes can tell that the top is completely different, the Hardware are different colors...........
    And also....... ZDAAS if you have been dealing with the seller for over 2 years....why does he only have 2 feedbacks ratings on his E-bay account?
    Is he a dealer of some sort??????

20. :bassist:
    Honestly- i really don't know about his feedbacks. And yes, he is a dealer, that's why he keeps going to NAMM and there is the place, where he gets most of his stuff.