1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bruford or White?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freddy-G., Oct 20, 2013.

1. Bill Bruford

56 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Alan White

18 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. Who is your favorite YES drummer? Bill Bruford or Alan White?

2. Since I had the audacity of opening this thread, I thought I should begin with some thoughts about the subject. I'm not long winded, so I'll keep it short and to the point. Bruford was there from the beginning and gave the group its signature sound. It was a HUGE blow when he left. But boy, did Alan fill in quickly, performing "Tales" on tour immediately. No hiccups at all. Very different styles. Bruford: jazzy. White: Rock.

I'll always want to hear YES with Bill Bruford on drums. Alan White is my fav drummer now!

What say ye?

3. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    Yes

4. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Not a huge fan of Yes but I am a huge fan of Bruford. I adore his work with King Crimson.

A few years ago a friend of mine was at a music conference (she's studying for a PhD) and she was chatting to this older man that she had met there. They were talking about books they had published. She talked about her's and asked him about his.

'What's it called?'
    'Bill Bruford: The Autobiography.'

She didn't know who he was. Then she went home, looked him up and remembered that I'd been raving about him for years!

Apparently he was really pleasant. Most likely just pleased to not be sitting next to a fan!

5. I was SO MAD when Bruford went to King Crimson. But, that's what artists do. Move on.

6. If you vote, give a reason why.

7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes was a conglomeration of players that came from very different approaches, which is why their music was all over the map. Bruford's an iconoclastic player - his approach was always a little in left field and his playing was always instantly recognizable - like the other band members. For these reasons, I chose Bruford.

White's a great drummer, but I couldn't pick him out of a lineup as easily as I could Bruford.

Incidentally, Bruford's autobiography is a great read.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm such a big fan of the work Bruford did after leaving the band I'm glad he left when he did. I also think that White has done a great job. I've seen Yes with both drummers, never did they disappoint.

9. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I'd have to choose Bruford simply due to his unique and innovative approach.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Both.

11. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Bruford is in a category of his own. White is all right, but not in Bruford's league IMO.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I agree with Lo-E, Freddy. I've always related to drummers with very distinct, idiosyncratic styles, who think & play way out of the box - such as Bill Bruford & Ginger Baker, to name just two (though their individual styles are quite different).

While I see where you're going with this, I do think it's a bit facile to categorize Bruford's playing as "jazzy" - even though he does love & play jazz, simply because "jazz" or "jazzy" has become such a catch-all for any genre or style of music that is highly technical, complex, math-based, nuanced, and/or which can't easily or obviously be put into any other category.

To my mind, when Bruford plays with rock musicians, he plays rock - just as when he plays with jazz musicians, he plays jazz. It's just a style of rock that's way more sophisticated and evolved than that of the vast majority of rock drummers.

MM

13. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Buford because his playing is (was :atoz:) so amazing and dripping with intelligence and personality, but still muscular. I can identify his playing within two or three hits. How many drummers can you say that about?

14. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Alan White is a perfectly respectable rock drummer but Bruford is in a completely different category. Bruford was one of the most innovative and unique drummers in rock or jazz.

15. mapleglo

mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I chose Alan White. Not because I think he's a better drummer. They both are great drummers, with completely different styles. I chose White because I think he's better with Yes. Two tracks convinced me. When I compare "I've Seen All Good People" on The Yes Album w/Bruford with the same track live on Yessongs with White, I think White nails it. Granted, it's a live/studio comparison, but valid in my mind none the less. And then there's Close to the Edge, from the album of the same name, and Yessongs again. I think White simply does a better job, with a fuller sound.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Agree, Bruford before he started using too much electric drums.

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Bruford. Him and Chris or him and Wetton, wow. But White is great.

18. F1Filter

F1Filter Guest

Feb 9, 2005
    Precisely the reason why I chose White. Once Bill went electronic with that Simmons SDX kit. He lost me. Some of the sounds he was triggering back in the day hasn't withstood the test of time very well (IMO). Especially on the ABWH album.

Had the opportunity to sit very close to the stage during the Union tour. After an intermission Bruford and White did a drum duet. Where I was sitting, you had to walk partially around the rotating stage they had. So Alan was no more than 10 feet away from me while I was (slowly) walking around the stage and back to my seat. My goodness, did his kit sound phenomenal back then. It's easily within my top 3 of live drum sounds I've heard.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I was gifted "Close to the Edge" when I was ~14 and it made a huge impression as you can imagine.

Riis

20. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Bruford...fit the band better with their unorthodox style

White is very good but Bruford is great