1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Budget Mic needed by newbie

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Scopey, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Scopey

Scopey

Mar 26, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi
    I have been playing bass little over 1 year (mostly self tought), and now I started messing around with my bass more seriously. So I am looking for a cheap mic. Keep in mind I never owned a mic before and don't know anything about them other than that they record sound :)

Purpose: 1) Tune setting. I want to record different EQ/Bass/Pickup etc settings and want to compare them regardin how they sound in a song.
    2) Record my small experimental riffs etc so I don't forget them.

Place: My room, no isolation.

Budget: Rather keep it below 100 USA.

Thanks
    Oscar

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

$100 will buy you a Shure SM58 or SM57. Get the 58 for vocals or the 57 to mic your amp. Pretty much industry standard.

Do you have something to record TO? Computer interface, Tascam recorder, what?

3. Akg P2 is almost flat response down to 30hz. $100. It's fairly new on the market. Floyd Eye is getting his appraised, in action, by some big wheel soundman this weekend. Nobody has had anything but praise for it on TB so far.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I sure wish people would quit telling other people to mic their bass amp with a 57. Guitar amps, fine. Bass amp, unless you also run a DI for the bottom this is far less than ideal.

For the hundred bucks you spend on that 57 you can get an AKG P2, which is what I mic my SVT with on stage and it is an awesome mic. Maybe not an RE20 but it's miles above any other $100 mic for bass.

*edit*

I just saw Downunderwonder's post and yes, if you can wait 3 days I can tell you what one of the big shot SE's in the STL area thinks of the mic.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Have you thought about getting a DI instead of a mic? Or just an interface for your computer, iPad, iPhone, etc?

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Used Zoom H2/H4 ... Mic and interface all in one...

7. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I can't really suggest a good budget bass cab mic from personal experience cause I don't ever use mics for bass anymore. Just don't need it. This is after 30 years of playing/recording the instrument.

If you're intending to only test changes to the bass itself, you'll have a much easier time (and clearer results) just recording it direct. Plugged straight into whatever your recording device/computer interface is. Speakers and microphones are adding a TON of color of their own - record it direct and you're a whole lot closer to hearing only the sound of the bass itself. Only reason to use a mic and a speaker is if you're testing mics or speakers.

Nuther benefit of going direct is you can do the whole thing in headphones and it's silent throughout the house.

If I was going to mic a bass cab today I think I'd put a large diaphram condenser a few feet out from the cab to get some air and room coloration (think JPJ) and then I'd still record a direct track that I would blend with the mic'd track, and in the end I'd most likely just delete the mic track and go back to only the direct track.

That said, I'm off to investigate this new AKG mic.

8. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    57's and 58's are legendarily (is that a word?) indestructable so you may as well buy used. I've gotten 'em as cheap as 50 bucks used, typically see em around 70-75 these days but if you're patient and wait for the deal to come you...

a great knock off brand is sold here: LINK. My band uses the 58-style mics for gig vocals, I record guitar cabs/snare/toms with the 57-style mic and I'm very happy with them. For 29 bucks - you almost can't go wrong.

That last sentence is the key there, if you ONLY use a 57 for recording bass you probably won't be happy with the results. If you use the 57 for adding some color to a direct track, then it could be plenty useful. But if you do that, read up on micrpophone placement and how to avoid phasing problems. recording and blending multiple tracks can get pretty complicated pretty quickly.

9. Scopey

Scopey

Mar 26, 2013
    Denmark
    My friend told suggested my Audacity to listen to recordings, he said it was the best free one available. I just assumed most of the mics these days can be connected to the computer. Did I assume wrong? Because other than my sound card I don't have anything special on my computer.

Also there are no vocals, I want it strictly for bass purposes

Yeah that is basically what I want, so there are other options than mics?

This will sound very newbish (which is I am) but what exactly is a DI and do they come under 100 price range?

Thanks everyone for the replies, I know there are alot of information on the forums but because of time constraints can't really read them right now :(

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Try plugging your bass directly into the microphone input. That's what I do. Got an 1/4" to 1/8" cord adapter. Adjust volume on your bass and with the recording software.

11. Scopey

Scopey

Mar 26, 2013
    Denmark
    Ah i know those, luckly very easy to find :) Can also connect from amp to the computer as well? Because the amp tune is important for me as well

12. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    You cannot directly plug your amp's speaker output into your computer.

If there's a headphone out form your amp, that would work.

Amazon has a few books on home recording you might want to check out. Recording for Dummies(no disrespect intended) would be a good place to start.

13. Scopey

Scopey

Mar 26, 2013
    Denmark
    Thanks,
    I will check the book out. Until then what other thing I would need in addition to a mic to record to sound and listen it on a PC?

My amp has an ear plug section, so if I plug it into a computer would I need a special hardware for it? And do I have to record in silence?

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You really don't want to be plugging your amp into your computer for recording. I know you said the tone is important to you, but with a good DI (direct injection, yes they can be under $100) you would use software & EQ to turn your dry recording into something an excellent tone, probably much better than what your amp has to offer.

Pros that have "the best" amps around record like this...

15. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    The sound should come out of your computer speakers as you're recording through your software.

Remember to start with the volume on everything at zero!:hyper:

16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO

+1 for the GLS mics. I have a 57 style, and while it doesn't QUITE have the same sound as my old (early 90s?) SM57, its a very nice mic for the money

I have a bunch of Mic demos up on my reverbnation page, including a Shure vs GLS comparison. https://www.reverbnation.com/patrickmccannfairfaxva/songs

please be nice :)