1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bugera 1960 for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Koffelito, Oct 11, 2009.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Ah... No...

2. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    When I ear Marshall it's usually got a boost in front.. like AC/DC or Lemmy using a maple ric and a pick. so a guy using his fingers with a bass straight into 100wat into an 810 won't get that sound.. but that's just my experience

3. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If that's the sound you're going for go for it - but it's not what "most" bass players are going for. With the channels in series I seriously doubt you'll need a external boost.

4. redhed

redhed Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I use a Marshall 1992 LEM signature amp and trust me you don't need no 'boost' of any kind in front of it, through two Marshall 4x12s it is deafening.

scf4003, fatboy757 and RoadRanger like this.
  5. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these bad boys

BassikLee and BillyB_from_LZ like this.
  6. I guess the OP had his question answered. He hasn’t logged in since 2012! :(

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's OK, we're having fun any way!

sk8 likes this.
  8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    :D :D :D

9. we are? Oh! Well all righty then! :D

10. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    It's arrived. Hoping to fire it up later today then got a band practice tomorrow

11. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Really interested in feedback on these, particular how the low end is, plus eq range (is it any use for bass?) and volume levels

12. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just make sure you understand that flat is somewhere around 1-10-1 . If you start at 5-5-5 like on an Ampeg it'll sound like arse.

13. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I cut the treble back to 1, mid 10, bass at 5. May cut bass back to one next time as it was a bit too bassy!

14. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Okay so at the start of practice was thinking if didn't have the volume BUT turning the gain up to 5 and the volume down on the back to 1 I was too loud for practice!

No loss of bass, plenty on tap. I used the top right input For channel 2 dimed the mids, cut the treble and I was rocking. On 4 on the gain there wasn't a huge amount of breakup.

All in all really pleased and the trouser slapping bass was lovely in the mix.

15. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Sounds v cool. What's your band mix...who are you competing against? Be useful to know if you're a jazz quartet or competing against a gui**** with full stack

16. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Rock indie metal covers band with loud drummer and 100watt Marshall gui****

17. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I found it plenty loud through a 810 to stay clean with a loud drummer.

18. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    had some more time with this head yesterday, albeit at home and not in a band/gig scenario. My main aim was to work out how to get a DI 'out of it'. In the end using an isolator xlr John @ Orchid Electronics made me on the effects loop send with the -10db switch selected provided a nice sound to my little desk. The Orchid classic DI elicited the same results. Although not tapping the output tubes its got enough tube vibe for the minimal times I need to DI. I can always DI off my board pre amp but wanted to tap into the valve loveliness! I also put some effects through it and they sounded mighty nice, mainly dirt and octave.

I also played with the gain, admittedly I didn't get round to trying it in the low input but Channel 2 high gets dirty, very quickly after 5

19. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    used it at a few practices now and I'm really digging this. It's an absolute sleeper of a bass amp.

outoftune, BassikLee and middy like this.
  20. I just noticed this amp today. So everyone is having good results with this as a bass amp?