1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a Chopper

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by karrot-x, Apr 23, 2006.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    So, I haven't been watching Orange County Choppers every moment I can. Nor have I bought season three dvd, and a hat..

:bag:

I want to build a bike, I want to build a very basic chopper that has a stretched frame, big tire in the back and looks don't really matter. If all it had was a primer paint on it I'd be happy.

The only problem is I don't want to spend more then 600-800 for the kit. Help me find it :).

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have a mechanic/machinist buddy who is building a chopper. He had it mocked up last weekend and the thing looks awesome. Now he's priming the parts to be painted. It's going to look killer. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

I think he said he has around $20 000 into it and he built the frame and is doing all the body metalwork himself. I guess that's a little more than you're looking to spend.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You'll spend more than that in shipping fees before it's done

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, funny one. You want us to spend our time chasing down something that does not exist.

-Mike

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ... ok... That is an example of an unhelpful post.

"You are going to spend closer to (...) and here is a place to find out more about (...)"

That is an example of a helpful post.

Please helpful posts only.

The only reason I'm making this thread is to find out how likely it is that I can build the bike. This would be my first time with anything automotive and even my first bike to ride. I posted here because generally this is a very helpful board. Thanks for reading.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I care about the physical shape, I want to be able to mount a wide tire on it and have it a little long. Other than that I'd be happy with sheet metal and aluminum.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You are going to spend a MINIMUM of $12,000

The absolute cheapest place to build a box bike out of

www.foghollow.com

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That's going to give me everything I need? Or is that over the long term, I don't want to have it ready by friday. However I don't want to have it for 3 years and still not ride.

All the tools I'll need for this build will be given to me (hopefully). Compressor, air gun, grinder, and the random automotive bits I should have.

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Sorry, I don't understand how this is a reply to my post.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You would be very lucky to get the basic of basic's together for 12K.

That will MAYBE get you a standard softail put together with chinese nock-off parts.

The fact that you want a stretched frame and wide rear tire are going to add several thousand to that at least because you are dealing with non stock parts.

People don't build bikes because they're any cheaper, they build to get exactly what they want.

They ain't just bolt togethers either. You pretty much need SERIOUS skills and a fully equiped facility.

A one year build time is about what you can expect if you do it out of your garage on a spare time basis.

I'd think 18k would be a more accurate estimate of what you want. Then add paint on top of that.

If you do that yourself and do it right it's a couple hundred hours and at least $800 in materials.

If you look around that link you'll see that basic rolling frames are 5k and up. Motors are >4k. Transmissions are >2k

And that really is the cheapest place to buy. No one else is even close.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You're right, I was thinking that. I originally wrote a response to it and then deleted that part. Sorry :).

It sounds like buying a used bike would be better. Do you have any recommendations for a make that I could add wide tire and long neck later?

12. Geoff St. Germaine

I think that you should probably do some more research at a forum that isn't predominantly bass related.

Google returned this, but I'm sure there are a ton more:

http://www.custombike.org/chopperforum/

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Karrot, you can always buy a $500 bike, fix it up as wanted/needed and sell or trade up for a more reliable bike in the future.

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That's what I'm thinking of doing. However I still have no idea what to look for. I'm looking at Harleys and I know that's going to be a huge junker if I get it for my price. I want to stay American, if that's not going to be possible then what others should I look for?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'm here to help. You are now going to find out how likely it is that you can build the bike.

Very, very unlikely.

16. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks :). I'm open to any recommendation for a bike to buy and fix. I hope I didn't sound close minded before, I'm really lost and looking for some advise.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, now this is an example of a helpful post, which says exactly what I said above, only using way too many words.

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    OK. I just looked at your profile. So, from the Munji school of brevity:

It ain't gonna happen.

From the ex-paramedic in me:

People 17 years old don't need to be on ANY motorcycle.

Take a look around here

www.cycletrader.com

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I suggest taking your $600-800 and purchasing a whole heap of red paperclips, then slowly trading them up to an OCC Chopper.

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I understand that, however, people have to start somewhere. This wont make any difference but I'll be 18 when I have the bike.