Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Burning mp3's onto a DVD?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Aug 24, 2005.

1. wasn't sure of which forum to post this in...

has anyone burned mp3's onto a DVD (as data) and got them to play in their DVD player?

I ask as I have 7 CD's of mp3's burned as data, which play in my DVD players, and wonder if their contents can be burned onto one DVD, and play as each CD did.

I don't have a DVD burner/recorder myself- I intend to use a friend's PC DVD burner.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I don't see why it shouldn't work, but just for the heck of it I will try it tonight. :D

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, it works.

In fact, they thought I was crazy at the local car audio shop when I asked about a head unit with a DVD drive..... and told them that I wasn't interested in a video system...... simply wanted to play a single disc with about a THOUSAND songs on it.... :)

4. thanks, guys.

yeah, it's potentially a very cheap way to get a 4 or 5Gb mp3 player-
    and with removeable media.

5. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    have fun selecting individual songs....

I like the idea in theory, but that's just too much on one disc. I'd get really confused if I had to skip through to track 783 to hear "Highway to the Danger Zone".

6. I've just tried it on a friend's PC.
    for some reason Nero Express let only 3.4Gb of mp3s be burned to a 4.7Gb DVD.

my DVD player only lists 298 mp3s, even though all 770 of them are playable off the disc on my PC.

hmm, I guess 298 is the limit for mp3 tracks?

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Perhaps for your make/model, Turtle.

For those who are curious but are cheap, you can use DVD-RWs also to test this.

8. That's why you can organise the disc into folders and sub-folders, for artists, albums etc. just like an MP3 player.:p