1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Burning mp3's onto a DVD?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Aug 24, 2005.

1. wasn't sure of which forum to post this in...

has anyone burned mp3's onto a DVD (as data) and got them to play in their DVD player?

I ask as I have 7 CD's of mp3's burned as data, which play in my DVD players, and wonder if their contents can be burned onto one DVD, and play as each CD did.

I don't have a DVD burner/recorder myself- I intend to use a friend's PC DVD burner.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I don't see why it shouldn't work, but just for the heck of it I will try it tonight. :D

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, it works.

In fact, they thought I was crazy at the local car audio shop when I asked about a head unit with a DVD drive..... and told them that I wasn't interested in a video system...... simply wanted to play a single disc with about a THOUSAND songs on it.... :)

4. thanks, guys.

yeah, it's potentially a very cheap way to get a 4 or 5Gb mp3 player-
    and with removeable media.

5. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    have fun selecting individual songs....

I like the idea in theory, but that's just too much on one disc. I'd get really confused if I had to skip through to track 783 to hear "Highway to the Danger Zone".

6. I've just tried it on a friend's PC.
    for some reason Nero Express let only 3.4Gb of mp3s be burned to a 4.7Gb DVD.

my DVD player only lists 298 mp3s, even though all 770 of them are playable off the disc on my PC.

hmm, I guess 298 is the limit for mp3 tracks?

7. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Perhaps for your make/model, Turtle.

For those who are curious but are cheap, you can use DVD-RWs also to test this.

8. That's why you can organise the disc into folders and sub-folders, for artists, albums etc. just like an MP3 player.:p