1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buy a Guitar!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thebasskid, Nov 22, 2010.

1. thebasskid

thebasskid

Jul 31, 2010
    i am thinking of buying a electric guitar. Anyone think itll help my bass playing technique and writing basslines?:bassist:

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    it will help your creativity and general musical understanding

3. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    It may help with your finger dexterity.

4. morehorn

morehorn Supporting Member

learning other instruments, recording, composing, arranging, etc etc will make you a much better bass player. understanding the bigger picture is absolutely essential.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    +1

I have an 6 string acoustic guitar. It's xlnt to have around since you don't need an amp. Usually play it every day.
    Great for singing along to the tunes you learn. Xlnt ear training.

I suggest getting a teacher to get you started. Also, imo concentrate on learning chords and how they work together with keys/scales.

Alternatively, you might think about getting a keyboard and picking up some piano skills. Much easier access to the chords/melodies. Probably easier for ear training as well.

6. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Yes. I have learned how to play guitar some and I do believe it has helped me learn more about the bass. I've also learned the drums as well. I feel learning about the other instruments only helps my bass playing further along. Learn as much as you can.

Guitar was very difficult to learn. Fingering cords is hard but not impossible and certainly attainable. Go for it and you'll be glad you did.

7. definitely will help your playing! has improved mine phenomenally!

8. Playing guitar can definitely help improve your bass playing. And playing bass can definitely help improve your guitar playing.

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    All of the above.

10. fwiw i played guitar all my life and learning bass has helped me greatly :D as said, any new instrument gives you a different understanding thus helping . . .