1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Buying my first "great" bass, stuck between two

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fowlerclone, Oct 25, 2009.

1. EBMM Stingray

47 vote(s)
    73.4%
  2. Fender Marcus Miller (with free amp)

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. I finally have the money for a new bass after playing my $200 ibanez for three years, but I'm stuck between two. It's either a MM stingray HH (or maybe H) or a fender Marcus Miller (with a free fender b-dec 30 amp).
    I love stingrays, and it probably would be my #1 choice if it wasnt for the free amp with the Marcus Miller fender (I only have a small practice amp). I play all styles and I really can't decide for the life of me.
    Any suggestions?

2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Don't base it on the B-DEC 30. That's still just a small practice amp.

Pick the bass, not the accessories. From the sound of it I'd go for the Stingray, assuming you've played them and are familiar with them.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played a Stingray for years and loved it. I played a Marcus Miller for years and loved that too.

When the Miller was $699 new, it was a better deal. But these days, all else being the same, the Stingray is a much better value... if that's what you're looking for. I found the Miller to be more versatile, but they're both great instruments that can be used in any situation.

4. You answered your own question. Buy the bass for the bass, not a mediocre practice amp. I own an HH as well and I've yet to play another bass I like more.

5. i hear you all but i've always wanted a fender jazz bass, and the mm is my favorite one i've played. i guess this will just turn into another stingray vs. jazz thread

6. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    i personally found the marcus miller a bit uncomfortable to play (maybe because of all the plastic crap they have over the fret board at the music store). i would pick the music man ANY day. especially the dark cherry burst :)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, then, Jazz bass. Unless, of course, you like the feel of a baseball bat in your left hand.

8. a practice amp shouldnt get in between ur love

9. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    The Fender 30 W amp is still another practice amp. A nice one, but still only a practice amp.:rollno:

The Fender Marcus Miller and the Sting Ray could not be more different. I like 'em both but for totally opposite reasons. The Marcus Miller is an awsome slapping bass. The single coils sound bright and clear. The Sting Ray with the big fat humbuckers has such a completely different character.

In a perfect world you would get to own both...

So, my humble opinion is...
    1. Forget about the amp issue. It's still a practice amp.
    2. Decide which of the two sounds you are looking for.
    3. Rob a bank so you can get both.;)

10. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Haha my thoughts exactly when it comes to Stingrays.

I'm sure there are some nicer necks out there, but every time I go into a music store I almost always try their Stingrays, and every time all I can think is BIG.

11. pingone

pingone

Nov 29, 2007
    my personal opinion is find a nice use stingray. i never buy new, it seems like such a waste unless you just flat out have the money for whatever you want. a used ray should leave you with enough for a nice combo amp.

12. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    That's why I sold my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz and got a Music Man Sterling...it was the neck in the Sterling that was the closed the deal for me.

But if you can handle a P Bass, you can handle the Sting Ray.

13. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    The two people I know who have had the Marcus weren't happy with it in the long run. It was a matter of, "Sure it's a nice bass, but it's kind of a one trick pony. I would have been just as good or better off with a (insert other bass here)." I guess if you REALLY want to sound like Marcus, go for it. If not, the EBMM totally has my vote.

Plus, the B-Dec 30 sucks. I have played through one, much to it's shagrin, and was unsatisfied with it's features and sound. Yes. Even as a practice amp.

14. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    I agree completely about the Marcus Miller. Thats why I sold it.

But if the dude who started this thread has an Ibanez, that's going to be a big change in neck size...again, the reason I got a Sterling instead.

15. Funny, I much prefer the neck of a Ray to a J. I guess I just don't like the feeling of a tooth pick in my left hand. :D

16. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Very different instruments. The instrument that makes you smile when you play it, is what you should have. Personally i would not buy a signature bass. I would prefer a "normal" jazz. I dont think the Miller signature bass looks good on anyone except Marcus Miller.

17. Musicman owns Fender any day:)
    sorry to all those Fender-lovers out there, im simply not a fan at all

18. pdubya

pdubya

Nov 11, 2008
    Australia
    hmmmmm.......´rays are great,but if u r already playing an Ibanez I would checkout an Ibanez atk300 that sounds just like a cross between a jazz and a stingray and spend the money you would save on upgrading your amp.I tried a ´ray, a fender jazz and the atk did what they both do!

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I do not understand posts calling a MM J bass a 1-trick pony, esp in comparison to a 'ray. IMO the quality is equal, but the J is the more versatile bass. Personally, I'd just get a regular J bass, like a Geddy.

20. Powman

Powman

Apr 28, 2009
    You know what bugs me about the Geddy Lee Jazz...not Geddy of course, he's awesome...but the location of the truss bar adjusment. Its really hard to get at.

I still like J basses, I may buy one again in the future. But yeah, not a signature one.