Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cab for Behringer BX3000T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by floydbass, Jan 2, 2005.

1. I am thinking about getting the behringer, but i dont know what cab i need. I would prefer 12 inch speakers. any help? Thanks in advance. :hyper: :bassist:

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    This isn't really what you asked but I can recommend you not to get the Behringer 2x10 - the one with the aluminium speakers. I tried that head into that cab and it was scary how much the speakers were moving to produce low volume. They really looked like they were working overtime just to produce a relatively low volume. Maybe technically there's nothing wrong with that but it sure doesn't inspire confidence - I was too scared to turn it up loud.

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I just got my Avatar 212 to go with the BX3000T, and even though it is not broken in yet, I think it sounds great. I was going to get the MAG300H, but a local store had the BX3000T for 175 bucks, and I am very very pleased with this setup.

4. how much is tha avatar 212?

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    321 dollars shipped.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I played through a BX3000T and an SWR Workingman's 115T at GC once and it sounded awesome!!!

I imagine that an Avatar B212 would sound fantastic... Get an 8 ohm cabinet so that you have room to add another 8 ohm cabinet if the need arises....

7. How Many Ohms?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    According to www.avatarspeakers.com....

"The B212 Delta LF is available in either a 4 ohm cab or 8 ohm cab (just one) and is rated at 1000 watts rms."

I'd recommend that you get the 8 ohm cabinet. Doing that would allow you to add another 8 ohm cabinet later (a 2x10, a 1x15 another 2x12, what ever you want) and in the meantime, you wouldn't notice any volume difference (between a 4 ohm and 8 ohm B212) and your amp will run cooler...

9. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    BillyB - can you explain your comment about "you wouldn't notice any volume difference (between a 4 ohm and 8 ohm B212) and your amp will run cooler"
    I was under the impression that a 300w amp rated for 4ohm load will only produce about 150w-200x into an 8ohm cabinet. (Certainly I've found with a stereo 350w amp rated for 4ohm cabs, it is mouch louder running one side of the amp(350w) into two 8ohm cabs in parallel (to give 4 ohms) rather than running 8ohms on each side(350w each))

I must confess to not knowing a huge amount about this, so if I am wrong PLEASE put me right, and as I am considering a BX3000T as well, I'm interested to know what to get in the speaker dept as well....

Cheers,

PaulF

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll take a stab... I wouldn't go so far as to say that you wouldn't notice any volume difference between the two wattages, but the difference would be minimal... Certainly less than running two 8 ohm 2X12's combined for a 4 ohm load... Speaker surface is more of a volume factor than watts, (at this level, anyway)...

I have the perfect comparison scenario in my playing situation right now... I have three 1X15 cabs, one 4 ohm and two 8 ohm's... The head is an Ashdown MAG300, (which is what the Behringer is based on)... There is a noticeable difference between the single 4 ohm and either of the 8 ohm cabinets. But when I hook both 8 ohm cabs up the volume increase is absolutely undeniable... Same load, more speaker surface... FWIW, the head runs very cool under either load...

I also sub with a local country band and use their bass amp, (the leader doubles on bass and hires me when they do larger shows), which is a Behringer BX300T into an SWR Workingman's 4X10... Sounds great and definitely puts out enough volume for this application!

I've already voiced my opinion on Behringer's ethics in a few other threads... That said, I've found nothing functionally wrong with the only BX300T that I've ever played...

-robert

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Although Behringer doesn't seem to publish power ratings for the BX3000T with an 8 ohm load, it's pretty safe to assume that it will put out more than 150 watts (half of 300). Let's assume it's closer to 200...

The rule of thumb is that it takes 2x power to increase the sound pressure level by 3 dB. 3 dB is considered to be the smallest increase in spl that the average person can detect.

In another thread, a member with much experience stated that in his experience, it takes 4x power to make a very noticable volume difference.

That's the basis for my comment that a 4 ohm B212 wouldn't be noticably louder than a 8 ohm B212 with the BX3000T.

As for heating...transistors are current amplifying devices and it is I2R (I squared R) losses that cause heating. At 8 ohms, the output current is less and I believe that both the power supply and output devices will run cooler with an 8 ohm load than with a 4 ohm load. I haven't conducted any actual measurements but it makes sense (to me any way)...and I have noticed that my QSC PLX2402 power amp ran much warmer (judging from the hot air blasting at the back of my neck (yes, it was a small stage, and yes I was wearing ear plugs!!!! :D ) when running bridged into 4 ohms than running stereo into 8 ohms per channel...

12. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Cheers Billy and Robert for your replies - makes a lot of sense to me :)

13. Thanksforthereplies, anyone else have anythingtosay about avatar cabs? or the Behringer?

14. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Yep - I'm interested in amyone with experience of the Behringer Cabs as well (can't find a local store with them in....)

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks to the mental seed planted by this thread, I bought myself a BX3000T yesterday.

My local GC had it connected to a Behringer 4x10 with aluminum cones and a tweeter. I didn't much care for the cabinet but can't really give an accurate review of it since I didn't play long, couldn't really turn it up and was using an unfamiliar bass (a rather nice Schecter Stiletto Elite 5).

16. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    You'll like it. I was going to just go with a Yorkville combo for my school rig, but I wanted to try a twelve inch speaker cabinet, and I liked the tone out of the BX3000T. I am sure I won't keep it forever, and if I do, it will be a backup.